Click on the tabs below for information about Texthelp tools.
About the software
Texthelp consists of a suite of tools called Read&Write Gold, PDF Reader, EquatIO and Mathspace. Read&Write Gold and EquatIO are available on desktop and Chrome. PDF Reader is available on Chrome. Mathspace is a web resource. Select their tabs to find out more.
Where to find it
Read&Write Gold and Equatio are installed on all IT Services managed PCs. They are available for all other University and personally-owned staff and student PCs; please see the Obtaining the software tab.
Read&Write is a discreet toolbar which can help you to consume course content easier and write coursework more effectively. It integrates seamlessly with the computer applications you already use to study, like web browsers and Microsoft or Google applications. You can also benefit from the toolbar’s features as you carry out research across the web, organising content as you go. It includes a PDF reader.
Some things you can do with Texthelp Read&Write Gold:
- Text-to-speech: Proofread more effectively by hearing your work read back to you.
- Word prediction: Predictive text boosts writing efficiency.
- Subject related word banks available.
- Audio maker: Convert course text into audio files to listen and learn on the go.
- Highlights: Organise research and compile references in a bibliography at the click of a button.
- Scan: Convert inaccessible hard copy texts into accessible PDFs, Microsoft Word documents, EPUB and HTML formats.
As part of Read&Write for Google Chrome extension, you can use the literacy and accessibility support tools from Read&Write (including text-to-speech, dictionaries and highlighting), plus powerful collaboration tools to bring your PDFs to life. Open PDFs in Google Drive, the web, or your local device, then use Texthelp’s PDF Reader to:
- collaborate in real-time on PDFs shared in Google Drive
- read text, including maths and science equations aloud
- input maths and science directly into your PDF with integration of the EquatIO for Chrome extension
- translate words
- add text annotations using Word Prediction and Dictation
- build vocabulary lists
- add audio comments using only your voice.
EquatIO and Mathspace
EquatIO and Mathspace
EquatIO software allows you to create mathematical and scientific equations, formulas and more directly on your computer. Simply type, handwrite or dictate any expression, and EquatIO will convert it into accurate digital maths and formulas which can be added to Microsoft Word documents or Google Workspace apps with a click. EquatIO can turn inaccessible maths in images on webpages or PDFs into accessible, editable maths.
EquatIO mobile is a mobile companion to EquatIO on your computer, which enables you to use your phone or tablet to insert maths into your synced documents or Mathspace.
EquatIO for Windows and Mac also benefits from the addition of the new STEM tools, a scientific calculator, molecular viewer and periodic table. Examine the structure of molecules and understand their geometry with up close 3D views of proteins and other chemistry structures. You can find the Molecular Viewer when you select the “STEM tools” beaker in the toolbar.
Obtaining the software
Obtaining the software
Read&Write and EquatIO are installed on all IT Services classroom PCs. They appear under Start > All Programs. You can also select Start and type the programme name for them to appear.
To install Read&Write and EquatIO on staff and research graduate PCs managed by IT Services follow these steps:
- from the Start Menu search for and open Software Center
- locate the software under the Available Software tab
- click on the Install button in the lower right
Once installed, it will appear under Start > All Programs.
Unmanaged PCs and home use
Staff and students are able to install Read&Write and EquatIO on unmanaged University owned PCs and personally owned devices while social distancing is in place.
Read&Write and EquatIO are available for Windows and Mac. After installing, sign in and choose 'take home code' to enter the licence code. Please download using the links below:
A licence code is required to activate Read&Write and EquatIO after 30 days. The same licence code will activate both software on both the Windows and Mac versions:
Training and Support
IT Services has no expertise in the software and is unable to offer user support for Texthelp.