- we engage in the pursuit of knowledge
- we are inquisitive and open-minded, respecting evidence and argument
You can expect the University:
- to offer an inspiring learning environment, support you to develop your aspirations and grow intellectually
- to provide well-designed programmes of study, where the objectives and the methods of learning are clear and effective
- to provide excellent teaching, delivered by staff who inform their teaching by research taking place within the University and beyond
- to support your study with high quality learning resources, regular academic supervision, and timely and constructive feedback on your work
As a student member of the University, you are expected:
- to make the most of your time at York, striving for academic success and preparing for life beyond university
- to develop as an autonomous learner, devoting appropriate time to private study, and as a collaborative learner, engaging with staff and other students
- to prepare for and attend all scheduled teaching activities, and complete assigned work, both formative and summative, on time
- to use the feedback you receive to aid your learning and academic progression
Information and services that relate to our community of scholarship:
Every student, undergraduate or postgraduate, on a taught programme has a supervisor, who is a member of staff in their department.
Develop your skills to support your study including writing, maths, referencing and languages.
Online learning resources
Find information about the range of IT and online services available to you.
Since our foundation in 1963, we have powered our way to a consistently high ranking in the UK. Read about our awards and achievements.
As a York student, you’ll work with world‐leading academics who’ll challenge you to think independently and excel in all that you do.