- we maintain a welcoming environment, where people of all backgrounds and identities can feel at home and can explore and develop their values, motivations and aspirations
- we maintain activities and opportunities that prepare students for fulfilling lives and ready to make a positive contribution to society
- we make a positive contribution to York, the region and beyond
You can expect the University:
- to welcome you into an active and supportive collegiate community
- to provide, and support the students’ unions to provide, opportunities for you to get involved in sports, societies, volunteering, social activities and experiences that will enrich your development
- to provide information on the opportunities available to graduates, and offer support and contacts to help you to become a successful applicant for graduate jobs or further study
- to offer a range of effective services that support you to resolve issues that may impact on your studies
As a student member of the University, you are expected:
- to be a good neighbour, both on and off campus, considerate of the needs of others, and contributing to the maintenance of a supportive community
- to make the most of opportunities outside your academic programme to develop your skills, explore your values and map out a vision of life beyond university
- to use the University’s resources to explore career options and prepare to make effective applications
- to familiarise yourself with the support that is available, be mindful of your own health and well-being, and seek support for issues that may inhibit your learning
Information and services that relate to our community of purpose:
As well as a place to live, your college will provide you with a network of support and a calendar of events and activities to help you settle in.
We have over 180 student societies: joining one is a fantastic way to meet like-minded people and make new friends.
Work and volunteering
We'll help you find volunteering opportunities and plan your post-university career or study path.
Study and work abroad
Broaden your cultural and social perspectives and stand out from the crowd by taking part in a global opportunity.
Health and wellbeing
It's important to look after your physical and mental health so that you can get the most out of your studies.
If things go wrong
We recognise that there are lots of challenges that can arise and we're here to help when they do.