Parking conditions and charges

Anyone choosing to park on campus must do so in accordance with the University’s‌ Parking Terms and Conditions (PDF , 424kb)

Parking Charge Notices

If you are found parking in a way that contravenes the parking terms and conditions, you will be issued with a Parking Charge Notice and will not be eligible for a University Parking permit until the debt is settled.

These charges are not a penalty or fine. Payment of PCNs may be pursued by the University through legal means, including the courts, which may result in you incurring additional costs.

Contravention list

01 Parked without displaying a valid parking permit at time of enforcement
02 Parked outside of parking bays or causing an obstruction
03 Parked displaying an incorrect permit for the car park
04 Parked displaying an expired university permit
05 Parked displaying an invalid permit for the day of parking
06 Parked displaying an expired Pay and Display permit
07 Parked causing an obstruction/danger
08 Not parked in a designated space
09 Parked displaying an invalid permit for the vehicle registration number
10 Parking permit not clearly displayed at time of enforcement
11 Parked displaying an expired tax disc
12 Parked for longer than permitted
13 Parked in a disabled bay without displaying a valid disabled badge
14 Parked in a restricted bay before 09.15am
15 Parked in a restricted bay before 09.30am
16 Parked on double yellow lines
17 Re-parked in the same parking place or car park within three hours of leaving


How to pay

The Parking Charge Notice is £80.00 and must be paid with 28 days. A discounted amount of £30 will be accepted if paid within 14 days. 

Please refer to the Parking Charge Notice for details on how to pay.

How to object

Please refer to details printed on the Parking Charge Notice for details on how to object.

When the enforcement company might cancel your Parking Charge Notice

  • We will cancel the first Parking Charge Notice (PCN) that you receive if you have a valid ticket or permit but you forgot to display it in your vehicle, it fell off the windscreen, or it was not clearly visible to the Travel and Transport Assistant. However, any further tickets that are issued may not be cancelled.
  • The above also applies to disabled badge holders. But, if you have parked where you are not allowed to use the disabled badge (for example where a loading ban is in place or on a taxi rank), the ticket will not normally be cancelled.
  • Medical illness or injury - If you are delayed due to illness or injury the PCN will normally be cancelled. However, you will need to provide some evidence, such as a doctor's note. If you are delayed due to a hospital or dental appointment that overran this is not usually a good enough reason as it is reasonable to expect a delay when visiting hospital or the dentist.
  • Vehicle breakdown - If you are delayed due to vehicle breakdown, the PCN will normally be cancelled provided that evidence of vehicle breakdown is provided. This could be an invoice for repairs to the vehicle or a receipt for parts or a recovery sheet from a breakdown service. However, you will be expected to have made arrangements to repair or remove your vehicle within a reasonable period of time.
  • Crime - If you have been a victim of crime, for example, your vehicle was stolen when the PCN was issued or you were delayed through reporting a crime to the police, then the PCN will normally be cancelled, provided you produce a Police Incident Number.
  • Signs and Markings - If the signs and/or markings are missing or not visible or are unreadable at the time when you parked the PCN will be cancelled. However, if the yellow lines or other markings are faded, or partly eroded, but it remains clear what the restriction is, then the PCN will probably not be cancelled. Parking Attendants check that the signs and lines are correct before issuing a PCN.
  • Machine faults - If the parking machine is not working then the PCN will be cancelled. However, it is important you always follow carefully the instructions on the machine and tariff boards. If someone tells you that the machine is not working please do not assume that they are correct - try it yourself.
  • Mitigating Circumstances - there will be occasions where, although the PCN was correctly issued, there are mitigating circumstances that the University must take into consideration when reaching a decision. The University has a duty to act fairly and to endeavour to reach its decisions with a high degree of open-minded impartiality and by the application of the principles of natural justice and fairness.

How to appeal

If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you can make a further appeal to the Independent Appeals Service (IAS)

The Independent Appeals Service provides an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme for disputes. The University may engage with the IAS ADR service at our discretion should further dispute arise over this charge in the future.

Please note: If you wish to challenge the validity of this charge then you must use the appeals procedure detailed above. Other issues can be dealt with under the complaints procedure. If you wish to complain, you MUST complain to us directly in the first instance by writing to us at the address detailed on your Parking Charge Notice. If you are not satisfied with our response, then you may refer your complaint to the IPC. Further details can be found at

If you don't pay

If the parking charge notice is not paid, the owner of the vehicle will receive a series of letters requesting payment. If payment for the parking charge notice in not received at this stage, the case is passed to a Debt Collection Agency who will continue to chase payment. After a period of time if the debt remains unpaid, the agency will issue a Final Arrears Notice.

From 1 August 2016 any payment still outstanding with the Debt Collection Agency following a Final Arrears Notice, will be passed to the University’s solicitor who will issue a Letter of Claim. If there is no payment made within 14 days of the date of this letter a Claim will be made and an additional £50 added to the amount of the outstanding payment  to cover costs. If payment is not made within 14 days of the date of the Claim, a County Court Claim will be issued against the motorist.


Independent Appeals Service