Accessibility statement

Safety and security

Safety and security banner

Safezone App

The Safezone app provides quick access to emergency calls, first aid, maps and a help desk.


Emergency: +44(0)1904 323 333
All other calls: +44(0)1904 324 444

Keys and security

As part of your terms and conditions, you agree to keep your accommodation secure:

  • Keep your keys, key fob or key card with you at all times.
  • Never mark your keys, key fobs or key cards with your address.
  • Never copy your keys or share them with anyone else.
  • Lock your door and windows whenever you leave your room.
  • Secure the corridor and entrance doors behind you when you enter or leave.
  • Always accompany your guests.
  • Never let someone you don’t know into your block.

I'm locked out of my room

If you lock yourself out of your room you can get a temporary key at your college reception. 

You’ll be asked to provide identification to help prevent unauthorised access to your room. You must return the temporary key within 24 hours or you’ll be charged £10 for a replacement.

  • All room keys and key cards must be returned to your college reception when you move out
  • If you lose a card or key you will be charged £10 for a replacement

We've got you covered: Contents insurance

Personal contents insurance is included in the price of your University accommodation. 

Find out what's included

Fire and electrical safety

Our accommodation is well-equipped to ensure your safety in case of a fire. It's your job to familiarise yourself with the rules below, to avoid putting yourself and others in danger:

Fire safety rules

  • Always leave the building when the fire alarm sounds.
  • Only use British standard fused plugs or adaptors.
  • Do not leave electrical devices unattended when switched on.
  • Report broken or damaged electrical sockets or equipment.
  • Do not link extension leads together.
  • Do not use faulty electrical appliances.
  • Do not leave appliances charging when you’re away or asleep.
  • Never tamper with fire safety equipment.
  • Never smoke in or near University accommodation or buildings.
  • Never smoke e-cigarettes in University accommodation or buildings.
  • Do not have candles or incense burners – these are not allowed, even if they’re just for decoration.

Electrical items from overseas

If you bring electrical items from overseas to use in communal areas, please ensure that they conform to EU standards. If they don't, we may remove them from your kitchen.

The United Kingdom uses a voltage of 230V with a frequency of 50 Hz. Only use a British standard fused voltage adaptor with three rectangular blades. Never force another plug type into the socket.

Items that are not permitted

If you have the following items in your accommodation they may be removed from your room:

  • Candles and incense burners
  • Portable heaters – unless provided by us
  • Heated clothes dryers
  • Untested electrical equipment
  • 13A mains operated fairy lights (low voltage or battery operated lights are fine)
  • Fridge/freezers
  • Washing machine
  • Alterations to plumbing such as bidet/shower hoses or attachments

Portable Appliance Testing (PAT)

All electrical appliances (including adaptors and extension leads) should be checked for safety with a Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) session before they are used on campus.

Electrical appliances in communal areas will be tested when we carry out testing of our own appliances. Any items found to be unsafe will be removed.

Every year we offer free testing of students’ electrical appliances. We’ll let you know here when this is scheduled to take place.

We also recommend bringing any electrical items that you use in your bedroom, particularly:

  • Laptop chargers 
  • Hairdryers
  • Straighteners