Fulfil your research potential at the University of York.
Whether you are a researcher already based at the University or are looking to join us, we are keen to support you in establishing and developing your career through a research fellowship.
12 - 23 April 2021 (Online)
Over the two weeks of 12 - 23 April 2021, the University held its first 'Fellowships Fortnight' to celebrate the work enabled through our community of Fellows. Find out more about 'Fellowships Fortnight'
What is a fellowship?
There are a range of fellowships available, from a variety of funding sources. While the aims, research areas, duration and amount of funding can vary, fellowships are an investment in you and your career as a researcher. Fellowships typically provide funding for your time (protecting it for research) and research expenses (such as travel and consumables). Some fellowships also allow you to include funding to build your team and buy larger pieces of equipment.
- Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) - Research, Development and Engagement Fellowships
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) - Fellowships
- Cancer Research UK - Fellowships
- Daphne Jackson Trust Fellowships
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) - Fellowships
- European Commission - Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellowships
- European Research Council (ERC) - Starting Grants
- US-UK Fulbright Commission Scholar Awards
- Leverhulme Trust - Early Career Research Fellowships
- Medical Research Council (MRC) - Fellowships
- National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) - Fellowships
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Independent Research Fellowships
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Knowledge Exchange Fellowships
- Royal Academy of Engineering - Research Fellowships
- Royal Society - Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowships
- Royal Society - University Research Fellowships
- Royal Society/British Academy - Newton International Fellowships
- Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) - Ernest Rutherford Fellowships
- The British Academy - Postdoctoral Fellowships
- The Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 - Research Fellowships
- UKRI - Future Leaders Fellowships
- University of York/Wellcome Trust - Centre for Future Health Fellowships
- Wellcome - Fellowships
What do we offer?
Our Research Fellowship Programme supports talented early-career researchers who would like to hold a fellowship at York. Once you join us as a fellowship holder, the programme will support your ongoing development, allowing your research career to flourish.
Key aspects of the Research Fellowship Programme include:
- Development and support for outstanding prospective candidates to help you to succeed in gaining your fellowship
- Ongoing training and development opportunities throughout your fellowship
- The opportunity to apply for a funded extension to your fellowship to work on your research ideas, develop entrepreneurial, policy-related, or civic engagement activities, or to engage with new audiences, user communities, or international connections
What types of fellowships do we host?
We have a broad community of early-career fellowship holders working on a wide range of exciting and world-leading research projects, covering topics that span the Faculties of Sciences, Social Sciences, and Arts and Humanities.
The best place to start is by contacting the department within the University of York that you would like to host you during your fellowship. Many of our departments have specific and tailored support for fellowship applicants. This support can include help with identifying a suitable fellowship opportunity, providing you with personalised timescales and helping you to develop your proposal.
If you're unsure of which department is best suited to you, or if you have any questions about what to do next, you can contact the University's Fellowship Coordinator at email@example.com.
- Centre for Health Economics
- Centre for Reviews and Dissemination
- Computer Science
- Electronic Engineering
- English and Related Literature
- Health Sciences
- History of Art
- Language and Linguistic Science
- Social Policy and Social Work
- Theatre, Film and Television and Interactive Media
- The York Management School
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We are committed to valuing and celebrating diversity and advancing equal and inclusive practice in all of our activities. Read more about equality, diversity and inclusion at York