There are a number of discounts available for members of the University wanting to buy computer equipment for personal use.
The main discounts can be obtained from:
- Our preferred suppliers (see below)
- Educational discounts from other companies (see below)
- Companies offering student discount via NUS Extra or UNiDAYS
- Advice sites such as Money Saving Expert, who recommend discounts, comparison sites and buying tips
Make sure you shop around, and get a range of quotes.
When you visit the below websites, to prove you're a member of the University, you may need to:
- access their website from a University of York IP address. To do this, either use a machine on campus, or connect from off campus using the VPN.
- use your University email address when you place your order.
Although described as a student store, the Getech site is available to both students and staff.
Laptop purchases include a 3 year warranty.
Stone is the University's preferred supplier of PCs.
Ensure that a keyboard, mouse, monitor, and operating system are included in the price before you place your order.
Please note, Apple's HE discount ended on Friday 1 April 2016. You can now purchase discounted Apple products from Academia.
Academia are our preferred supplier for Apple products.
Devices that won't work on the Uni network
If you're thinking about buying equipment to use on campus, please check that it will work with our network before you buy.
As a general rule, any device designed for a domestic setting and controlled from a phone or tablet won't work. PCs and tablets should work fine
For more information, see:
Remember that the decision is yours alone. IT Services does not accept any responsibility with regard to privately purchased equipment. The contract is between you and the supplier.