Practice Education in Social Work: Stage 2
Supervise students on their final placement.
Building upon the knowledge you gained in Stage 1, this course will extend your understanding of approaches to managing, supporting and assessing Social Work students on their final placement.
After an introductory session and exploration of adult learning, you'll attend a series of workshops focusing on:
- Supervision models
- The use of research and evidence-based practice
- Teaching, assessment and marking
- Supporting students and tackling difficult issues
- The professional capabilities framework.
This course is not part of a dedicated Post-Qualifying Award in Higher Specialist Social Work, but you should check with an awarding institution to see how completion of this course may be recognised under the PQ scheme.
Teaching and assessment
The course includes periods of formal teaching, private study, time in your role as an enabler and assessor of a student's practice, and periods where you will prepare work for assessment.
- You'll spend a total of 4 to 5 days in training. You'll normally need to arrange these as day release from your employer.
- You'll also need to complete around 40 hours of private study and spend time planning and delivering practice learning experiences with your placement student.
- The course is assessed through a portfolio which includes a preparatory assignment (accredited only applicants) and a reflective assignment (all applicants). You will have to complete this within 10 months of the start date of your student’s placement.
The level of fee you'll pay depends on which type of course you do:
- Accredited (includes 20 masters credits) : £500
- Certificated (non-accredited): £420
We'll request payment once we've received your application form and will invoice you directly. If your employer is paying for your course, provide their details with your application form.
You are required to have a fully qualified and experienced PE Mentor to support you while working with your student. The university can suggest a PE Mentor if your organisation does not already employ an appropriately qualified individual. PE Mentors may charge for this service.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the enrolment form.
When completing the form please pay particular attention to:
- Programme title: Practice Education in Social Work
- Intended qualification: stage 2
- Mode of attendance: part-time
- Year of programme: n/a
You must complete the following sections:
- Term time address - insert your home address
- Mobile number - supply a mobile phone number
- Off-campus email - supply an email address (work email or personal email)
- Home address - insert your work address
- Confirmation statements and signature
If you employer/sponsor is paying the course fees on your behalf, provide details of your employer/sponsor and an invoice address on a separate sheet.
Please email your completed form to email@example.com.