E-scooters and e-bikes
E-scooters and e-bikes are available to use to shuttle across campus or to travel into the city centre.
Supplied and operated across the entire city by TIER, an external supplier, e-scooters and e-bikes cost as little as 18p per minute (£1 to unlock) when travelling to the city centre or across campuses, they're a quick, easy and sustainable way to travel.
How it works
- Before you can use an e-scooter or bike you'll need to download the TIER app.
- If you are using an e-scooter, you'll also need to have your driving licence verified.
- Next, we strongly suggest you complete the AA-led ride safe school resources via the app.
- You can then use the app to access e-scooters and e-bikes, see routes and find where to park.
Where can I use an e-scooter or bike?
Bikes can be used anywhere, while there are two main areas around the university within which the e-scooters can be used.
Student Shuttle: This is a student shuttle to and from Campus East and West. E-scooters for this route are parked outside the Spring Lane Building on Campus West and the Campus East Bus Interchange Car Park on Campus East. The route in both directions is via Church Lane then along Field Lane on the existing off-road cycle path.
City Service: If you would like to access the city centre or other areas of York from campus, e-scooters found in the following locations can be used:
Market Square, Wentworth College, East Campus, Spring Lane Building, Halifax College, Alcuin College, James College and the Sports Centre on West.
Users can travel on any of the routes indicated on the app. Bikes and e-scooters should be parked in the areas indicated on the app. In order to end the trip you will need to park in a specific zone.
How safe are they to ride?
- Technology is built into the vehicles to ensure they are only used on specified routes and parked in designated areas.
- Scooters have a limited speed which automatically adjusts as the scooter enters an area with lower speed limits.
- Cycle helmets are built into the e-scooter, with sanitizing wipes within the helmet section. If using a bike, you should bring your own helmet with you.
- Anybody wishing to use an e-scooter or bike must download the TIER app and scooter users must also have their driving licence verified (a provisional license is sufficient).
- A dedicated team will regularly patrol the routes.
TIER have also worked with the AA to create a wide range of safety resources designed to educate riders on safe e-scooter and e-bike use. All riders will have access to the e-learning module and we strongly encourage you to undertake this before embarking on your first trip.
How clean are the scooters and bikes?
- The Tier app has a wealth of advice on cleaning and covid measures that you can read.
- On the vehicle itself, you will find spray and hand sanitiser in a box under the handle bars. This is for all customers to use.
- Two members of staff are working to deep clean vehicles at a minimum of three times a day; start, mid and end, plus more if it is required. This far outreaches current government guidance on cleaning pool bikes.