At York you will receive a high quality education from a world-renowned university located in one of the most beautiful and historic cities in England. We are a very friendly and welcoming community and you will have the opportunity to play an active role in helping shape its future.
You can choose from a range of postgraduate degree programmes, taught in an open and supportive environment that encourages frequent interaction between staff and students, and individualised personal supervision. There is a strong international dimension to our work and students come to the department from across the globe.
Our taught Masters courses
- Applied Linguistics for English Language Teaching (MA)
- Applied Linguistics for Language Teaching (MA)
- Education (MA)
- Environmental Sustainability Education and Communication (MSc)
- Global Citizenship Education (MA)
- Mental Health and Wellbeing in Education (MSc)
- Psychology in Education (MSc)
- Social Justice and Education (MA)
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MA)
Or, find another course.
We offer PGCE Secondary (11-16 with Post 16 enhancement) and pride ourselves on our feet-on-the-ground approach, with two-thirds of your time spent in schools. You'll receive in-depth subject specific training from our tutor and mentor teams to give you the best foundation for your career.
We offer secondary teacher training in the following subjects:
- French (with German or Spanish)
- German (with French or Spanish)
- Spanish (with French or German)
Our research degrees
We also offer the following research degrees:
Why study Education at York
5th in the UK
for research according to the Times Higher Education’s ranking of the latest REF results (2021)
We host the Centre for Research on Education and Social Justice, meaning you will have opportunities to connect with researchers and students from across the world.
Join an active academic community
Talks, workshops and seminars give you opportunities to get involved with our active academic community and keep up to date with cutting edge research
Come and visit us at an Open Day, explore our campus or chat to our students online. We host a range of events throughout the year including subject-specific events designed especially for people considering postgraduate study.