Our Online Open Days are your opportunity to find out more about York, meet our academics, students and support staff and ask any questions you might have.
September Open Day
Our next Online Open Day will take place on Sunday 19 September from 10am to 4pm.
What to expect on the day?
The online event will include live talks, live chats and Q&A sessions covering a range of topics from accommodation to finance and student life.
You’ll also get the chance to connect with your academic department and explore your course as well as finding out about the support on offer at York.
Our current students will be on-hand to answer your questions and tell you all about what it's really like to study and live here.
Our departments will be online throughout the day. Watch presentations, find out more about each department and get a feel for our courses. Take the opportunity to meet our academics and students, ask questions and find out more about the courses and facilities available to you.
Don’t worry if you’ve not decided what subject to study yet. You can check out as many departments as you like on the day by moving between the different areas of our online event. Make sure to explore and get a feel for what interests you.
- Studying Archaeology at York 10:15am to 11am and 2:15pm to 3pm
Biology, Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences
- Studying Biosciences at York 10:15am to 11am and 2:15pm to 3pm
- Careers and opportunities in the Biosciences 11:15am to 12 noon and 3:15pm to 4pm
- Studying Chemistry at York 11:15am to 12 noon and 3:15pm to 4pm
- Q&A with the Chemistry admissions team and student ambassadors 1:15pm to 2pm
- Studying Computer Science at York 11:15am to 12 noon and 2:15pm to 3pm
- Maximising employability: Your year in industry 12:15pm to 1pm
- Studying Economics at York 10:15am to 11am and 1:15pm to 2pm
- Studying Education at York - including a mini seminar on one of our lecturers' current research 10:15am to 11am and 1:15pm to 2pm
Electronics and Engineering
- Studying Electronic Engineering at York - including Electrical, Computer Engineering, Communications, Nanotechnology and Business Management courses 12:15pm to 1pm
- Studying Engineering at York - including Medical Engineering, Micro-Mechanical Engineering and Robotic Engineering courses 1:15pm to 2pm
- Studying Music Technology Systems at York 2:15pm to 3pm
English and Related Literature
- Studying English and Related Literature at York 11:15am to 12 noon and 3:15pm to 4pm
Environment and Geography
- Studying Environment and Geography at York 10:15am to 11am and 1:15pm to 2pm
- Studying Environment, Economics and Ecology at York 11:15am to 12 noon
- Studying Environmental Geography at York 12:15pm to 1pm
- Studying Human Geography and Environment at York 2:15pm to 3pm
- Studying Environmental Science at York 3:15pm to 4pm
- Studying History at York 12:15pm to 1pm and 3:15pm to 4pm
History of Art
- Studying History of Art at York 10:15am to 11am
- Studying Curating and Art History at York 1:15pm to 2pm
Language and Linguistic Science
- Studying Language and Linguistic Science at York 11:15am to 12 noon
- Mini lecture: Taster of modern foreign languages 1:15pm to 2pm
- Mini lecture: English language and linguistics "Like, what does 'like' really mean?": Variation in discourse 2:15pm to 3pm
- Studying Law at York 10:15am to 11am and 2:15pm to 3pm
- Problem Based Learning taster and Q&A session 11:15am to 12 noon and 3:15pm to 4pm
- Studying with the York Management School 11:15am to 12 noon and 3:15pm to 4pm
- Mini lecture in Accounting and Finance 12:15pm to 1pm
- Mini lecture in Marketing 1:15pm to 2pm
- Mini lecture in Actuarial Science 2:15pm to 3pm
- Studying Mathematics at York 12:15pm to 1pm and 3:15pm to 4pm
Medicine (through Hull York Medical School - HYMS)
- Selection for Medicine at Hull York Medical School 10:15am to 11am and 2:15pm to 3pm
- Medicine at Hull York Medical School 11:15am to 12 noon and 3:15pm to 4pm
- Problem Based Learning at Hull York Medical School and Clinical Placements at Hull York Medical School 12:15pm to 1pm
- Medicine Student Q&A 1:15pm to 1:45pm
- Studying Music at York 11:15am to 12 noon and 2:15pm to 3pm
- Studying Natural Sciences at York 12:15pm to 1pm and 3:15pm to 4pm
Nursing and Midwifery
- Study Nursing and Midwifery at York 10:15am to 11am and 1:15pm to 2pm
- Studying Philosophy at York 10:15am to 11am and 2:15pm to 3pm
- Studying Physics at York 11:15am to 12 noon and 2:15pm to 3pm
- Physics Research Talk 12:15pm to 1pm
Politics, International Relations and Global Development
- Studying Politics at York 10:15am to 11am and 2:15pm to 3pm
Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)
- Studying Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) at York 12:15pm to 1pm and 3:15pm to 4pm
- Studying Psychology at York 10:15am to 11am and 1:15pm to 2pm
Social Policy and Applied Social Science
- Studying Social Policy and Applied Social Science at York 11:15am to 12 noon
- Studying Social Work at York 2:15pm to 3pm
Social and Political Sciences
- Studying Social and Political Sciences at York 12:15pm to 1pm and 3:15pm to 4pm
- Studying Sociology at York and mini lecture: Heel, boy! Why sociologists need to be-aware of the dog 10:15am to 11am
Studying Sociology at York and mini lecture: Sociology of the Future 1:15pm to 2pm
Theatre, Film, Television and Interactive Media
- Studying Theatre: Writing, Directing and Performance at York (TWDP) 11:15am to 12 noon
- Studying Film and Television Production at York (FTP) 12:15pm to 1pm
- Studying Interactive Media at York (IM) 1:15pm to 2pm
- Studying Business of the Creative Industries at York (BCI) 2:15pm to 3pm
Our support services will be online throughout the day. Find out more about how we support you with presentations and Q&A sessions with our support services staff covering topics such as accommodation, careers, the Student's Union and the college system at York.
Accommodation at York
With all of our accommodation on or very near to campus, you'll be living at the heart of the action. Discover the different types of accommodation options available, let lengths, costs and more.
- 12:15pm to 1pm and 3:15pm to 4pm
Your Students' Union (YUSU)
Find out about how YUSU can assist and entertain you throughout your time at York. Discover the diverse range of student-run activities they offer including societies, sports and volunteering.
- 10:15am to 11am
Careers and Placements - Developing graduate employability
Whatever your career aspirations, we can help you stand out from the crowd. Come along to this talk to find out more about our award-winning York Futures programme.
- 2:15pm to 3pm
Global programmes - Study, work and volunteering opportunities abroad
At York, we aim to provide every student with an opportunity to develop a global perspective whether through study, work or volunteering. Find out more about our study abroad destinations and how to get involved.
- 11:15am to 12 noon
The collegiate system at York
The colleges at York will provide you with a network of support, friendship, facilities and a full calendar of events and activities to ease you into university life. Find out more about the college system and ask questions with students and staff.
- 1:15pm to 2pm
Languages for all
Learning a language is not just about social and personal development. It can be a life changing experience. Find out more about taking your language skills to the next level.
- 12:15pm to 1pm
Hear from our students
Want to find out what it's really like living and studying at York? Explore our student blogs.
Preparing to live on campus – what the university and college system has to offer
Posted by Tim on 4 June 2021
Moving away from home to live on campus can be really daunting but the university offers plenty of activities to make the transition as…
Why being part of the University of York is being part of one community, even through covid times
Posted by Daniela on 20 April 2021
As a prospective – and even as a new (enrolled) student – you can feel doubt and fear when joining university, especially if you…
A queer student guide to York
Posted by Ethan on 2 February 2021
If you identify as LGBTQ, are questioning your identity or just a brilliant ally, there are so many things you can get involved with…
How I made the most of university life under covid restrictions
Posted by Grace on 18 January 2021
Autumn term of my second year at York (October 2020) was very different. We were out of complete lockdown and starting to navigate the…
Christmas on campus- a Fresher’s perspective
Posted by Jan on 10 December 2020
Hi. My name is Jan, I’m a first-year student and this year I’m spending Christmas on Campus. Whenever I talk to someone about it…
Uni life in 2020: How lockdown brought my house closer.
Posted by Assuero on 4 December 2020
University life in 2020 can seem uncertain and challenging, but who said lockdown can’t be enjoyable as well? Because of Covid-19, shops and pubs…