Online and distance learners
Whatever your reason for studying off campus - whether you are an online and distance learner, part-time student, or an undergraduate on a placement away from York - you can get support.
- send careers enquiries via Careers Gateway
- get feedback on CVs, applications and supporting statements - send as an attachment in Careers Gateway.
- have CVs and applications reviewed through v-guidance (feedback via a screencast/video). Submit your application via Careers Gateway, requesting a v-guidance response
- arrange for a telephone or Skype appointment - ring +44(0)1904 322685
- keep in touch through social media
- the CV Guide (Yorkshare VLE) - different formats, sample layouts and suggestions for reviewing your CV
- Videos on How to make a great CV, and How to make a great cover letter (York log-in required)
- CareerSet is an online tool that will give you feedback on your CV (York login required). See the CVs and applications page for more detail.
- the Interview Guide (Yorkshare VLE) - everything you need to know about preparing for an interview, and the opportunity to practise your technique with our interview simulator (not currently available as of January 2020, soon to be replaced with another program)
- presentation slides from some of our on-campus careers sessions
- York Strengths online discovery (select undergraduate or postgraduate as appropriate)
- jobs, volunteering and funding opportunities on Careers Gateway
- our pages for postgraduate research students
- information on researching the job market on our international student pages, and World Links with links to GoinGlobal, country profiles, study information and vacancy sites
Key Careers and Placements web pages:
Even if you are away from campus, you can still make use of University of York networks:
- York Profiles and Mentors - discover real life work experiences of alumni after York; you can ask questions or request a mentor
- Networking - including our networking toolkit
- LinkedIn - connect with business professionals and keep up to date with developments in your sector through group dicussions, introductions and personal recommendations. There are also useful online student user guides to LinkedIn.
Careers and Placements
Mon-Fri 10am-5pm (Undergraduate term time)
Telephone: +44(0)1904 322685
Email: via Careers Gateway
View our other social media