Drones and UAVs

The University’s public and products liability is extended to include liability arising out of or from the ownership, possession or use by or on behalf of the University of York of any unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) provided that:

Vessels, crafts or small unmanned aircraft are no more than 20kg and are operated within the Civil Aviation Authority's Drone and Model Aircraft Code.

'Small unmanned aircraft' includes unmanned aerial systems for any part thereof and radio controlled helicopters.

You must have a valid flyer ID

It is illegal to fly without registering and passing a theory test. The Civil Aviation Authority provides information on obtaining a valid flyer ID and the theory test:

You must only allow people with a valid flyer ID to fly the University’s drones or model aircraft.

Every drone or model aircraft must be labelled with your operator ID - for the University this is GBR-OP-P76K8BH3TPVH:

Flying for commercial reasons

If you want to fly for commercial reasons, you must get permission from the Civil Aviation Authority. This includes getting a permission for commercial operations (PfCO):

You will also require insurance that covers the EC 785/2004 Regulation - please contact insurance-enquiries@york.ac.uk should you require this.

Territorial limits

Liability cover is on a worldwide basis other than those territories listed. Any planned UAV or Drone activity in these countries should be referred to insurance-enquiries@york.ac.uk for review.

Excluded territories

  • Afghanistan
  • Algeria
  • Burundi
  • Cameroon
  • Central African Republic
  • Colombia
  • Democratic Republic of Congo
  • Egypt
  • Ethiopia
  • Georgia
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Kenya
  • Lebanon
  • Libya
  • Mali
  • Mauritania
  • Nigeria
  • North Korea
  • Pakistan
  • Peru
  • Russia
  • Somalia
  • South Sudan
  • The Republic of Sudan
  • Syria
  • Ukraine