Terms of reference
Terms of reference
- To advise Senate and the University Executive Board on all matters relating to the research strategy of the University, to support the development of the University's Research Strategy and to support the Vice-Chancellor, the University Executive Board and Pro-Vice-Chancellor(s) in driving the strategy forward.
- To identify priority areas for research, to champion and promote research excellence, and to develop, promote and monitor policies and practices to stimulate research programmes in the agreed areas.
- To set internal policy and monitor progress in response to external requirements (eg peer review processes, external research assessment).
- To advise the University Executive Board and Planning Committee on organisational structures for research, on the selective distribution of resources within the University in order to ensure appropriate alignment of resource allocation with research strategy, and where other initiatives within the University have implications for research activity.
- To support the University in its engagement with key external stakeholders relating to research, including business, industry, the government and funding agencies.
- To monitor the research performance of the institution, departments in terms of research quality, financial sustainability (generation of research income), impact and research integrity drawing on national and international benchmarking data.
- To receive annual updates from departments on research activities and performance including research impact, in order to advise the Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research on areas where improvements could be made, where there are significant risks and/or where new opportunities may be pursued.
- To monitor and influence the development of research policy and strategy of key national and international agencies in the interests of the University (eg HEFCE, Research Councils, European Union).
Committees which report in to University Research Committee
Faculty Research Groups
Research Priming Fund Committee
Clinical Trials Sponsorship Committee
York Graduate Research School Board
Global Challenges Research Fund Steering Group
Research Excellence Training Steering Group
- The Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research (Chair)
- The Dean of the York Graduate Research School (ex officio)
- The Deans of Faculty (ex officio)
- Professor Brian Fulton (Sciences)
- Professor Mark Ormrod (Arts and Humanities) Spring Term: Acting Dean: Professor Judith Buchanan
- Professor Stuart Bell (Social Sciences)
- The Faculty Associate Deans (Research) (ex officio)
- Professor Colin Brown (Sciences)
- Professor Judith Buchanan (Arts and Humanities) Spring Term: Acting Associate Dean: Dr Kate Giles
- Professor Matthew Festenstein (Social Sciences)
- The Director of Research and Enterprise (ex officio)
- The Deputy Director of Research and Enterprise (ex officio)
- The Research Strategy and Policy Manager (ex officio)
- Three academic members from each Academic Faculty, normally with experience on Departmental Senior Management Teams. No two of these members should be from the same department.
- Professor Nik Brown (until September 2018)
- Professor Mathew Evans (until September 2019)
- Professor Jason Edwards (until September 2017)
History of Art
- Professor Maria Goddard (until September 2019)
Centre for Health Economics
- Dr Mary Leng (until September 2018)
- Professor William McGuire (until September 2018)
- Professor Jenny Steele (until September 2019)
- Professor Elizabeth Tyler (until September 2019)
- Professor Piran White (until September 2019)
- Research Strategy and Policy Officer (Secretary)
Membership of University Research Committee:roles and responsibilities (PDF , 207kb)
URC procedures for handling conflicts of interest (PDF , 491kb)
URC proforma for annual declaration of interests (Word format) (MS Word , 18kb)
Research committee minutes
In line with the University's Freedom of Information Policy, the minutes of the meetings will be made publicly available in the January after the end of the academic year in which the meetings took place. If you believe you should have access prior to this date, please contact the Secretary to the Committee.
Commercially sensitive content has been removed in accordance with provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. Full minutes are available for staff members only.
2011 - 2012
2010 - 2011
For committee members
Additional documents and information are available to members of the research committee.