Chemicals in the environment
Our ecosystems are increasingly contaminated by pollutants, including newly identified threats such as microplastics and pharmaceuticals.
Our interdisciplinary research, which involves stakeholders from academia, government and industry, is investigating how the air we breathe influences human health, how pharmaceuticals impact upon flora and fauna and contribute to the burden of environmental antimicrobial resistance, and how pollution regimes develop in complex urban environments.
Explore the departments, research centres and groups working in this area:
Research centres and groups
- Environmental Chemistry in a Changing World
- Green Chemistry Centre of Excellence
- Stockholm Environment Institute at York
- Wolfson Atmospheric Chemistry Laboratory
- York Environmental Sustainability Institute