Associate Lecturer in Mathematical Finance or related area
The Department of Mathematics is seeking to appoint an Associate Lecturer in Mathematical Finance or a related area for a fixed term of two years.
The successful applicant may have a background in any area of pure or applied mathematics, but will be expected to teach modules and supervise MSc dissertations in Mathematical Finance, in support of the Department's portfolio of MSc programmes in Mathematical Finance, Financial Engineering, and Statistics and Computational Finance. The ability to teach mathematical programming in C++ or Matlab would be an advantage.
The successful applicant, where appropriate, would develop revisions to existing modules or courses in terms of design, content, structure, forms of delivery, method of assessment. They would set and mark coursework and exams, providing constructive feedback to students and provide, with mentoring, supervision to students, giving advice on study skills and helping with learning problems. They are also expected to undertake effectively a range of administrative responsibilities.
A description of the main duties and responsibilities of the job, as stated in the main purpose of the role and relevant key responsibilities in the job template (6-8 lines).
Skills, Experience & Qualification needed
- Detailed knowledge in Mathematical Finance or a related area sufficient to develop teaching and provide relevant learning support to students across different levels of academic ability
- Highly developed communication skills to engage effectively with a wide ranging audience, both orally and in writing, using a range of media
- Ability to design and deliver teaching material either across a range of modules or within a subject area
- Ability to supervise the work of students, provide advice on study skills and assist with learning problems
- Ability to contribute to the design of course material, content and new teaching approaches in the department
- Ability to manage and deliver own teaching
- Ability to plan, manage, organise and assess own teaching contributions
- Experience in teaching and learning in HE at undergraduate and/ or postgraduate level or in an evidenced similar context
- Experience of using different delivery techniques to enthuse and engage students
- Evidence of successfully planning and designing teaching material
- To be able to offer Tier 2 Sponsorship you must include all criteria you will be using to make shortlisting/appointing decisions. These same criteria must be included in your shortlisting and interview records.
- We will add the University’s Equality and Diversity statement to all advertisements:
For more information and to apply click here
Interview date: to be confirmed
For informal enquiries: please contact Prof Niall MacKay, email@example.com or Dr Alet Roux, firstname.lastname@example.org