This exciting project will deliver a brand new central welcome point to the campus as well as a new student centre and surrounding public realm.
The Student Centre will be located centrally on campus west, linking the Library with Market Square and Greg’s Place. The building, which is one of the University’s transformational projects, has been designed by renowned architects and aims to be as iconic as Central Hall whilst being a home from home for all our students.
The building will be innovative and sustainable, with numerous multi-function spaces to suit all users for years to come. The design includes:
- Flat floor event spaces
- Student union offices
- Spaces for clubs and societies
- A large flexible space for events
- Exhibition space
- Chill out areas
- Link to the library
- Outdoor seating
- A roof garden and additional terraced areas
The digitally smart design has potential for digital teaching walls for collaborative working, AR capabilities and an immersive experience through digital interactive projections on all surfaces and in all spaces.
The building will be primarily constructed from low maintenance, natural materials from sustainable renewable sources including reconstituted stone. It will be low cost and energy efficient responding dynamically to local environment and climate. The plans also allow for solar panels, rooflights and solar controlled glazing.
We are keen that as many people as possible from current students and staff, to our alumni and future students have their say on what this building could, and should, offer. There will be multiple ways for everyone to give their opinion across the life of the project, truly making it a building for students, designed with students.
The initial development stage of the project started in mid-2021 and, once approved, it is hoped that the building will be in use by 2024.
- The student centre will pull together both our student unions and the university into a single central space for the benefit of all our students.
- Welcome point for anyone arriving at the university
- Close links with the library to seamlessly integrate study and down times.
- Creative and innovate design to inspire all users
- A variety of flexible spaces available for multiple uses.
- Landscaped external areas better connecting University Road area with Greg’s Place and the lake
We have a dedicated portal for all university staff and students to find out more about the project and get involved (university login required).