Body of Knowledge
The Body of Knowledge helps to support the development of safe autonomous systems by providing practical guidance on assurance and regulation.
Use the coloured boxes below to explore the Body of Knowledge. For each assurance / regulatory consideration you will find:
- a definition of the assurance objectives (what must be demonstrated when putting a RAS into operation)
- a description that provides further information and rationale for the assurance objectives
- practical guidance on how to meet the assurance objectives (you may find multiple approaches for demonstration to reflect different technologies or domains)
Every assurance consideration already has a definition and description. The guidance is being added as it is developed and written. You can use the links below to go straight to some of the guidance that is already in place.
Please enter your details below to help us understand the types of job roles and organisations who use this practical guidance. You can view our privacy statement here.
1.1.2 - practical guidance for 'defining the operating environment' (automotive domain)
1.1.3 - practical guidance for 'defining operating scenarios' (automotive domain)
1.2 - practical guidance for 'identifying hazardous system behaviour' (automotive domain)
1.4 - practical guidance for 'impact of security on safety' (cross-domain)
2.3 - practical guidance for 'implementing requirements using ML' (cross-domain)
2.3.1 - practical guidance for 'sufficiency of training' (cross-domain)
2.3.2 - practical guidance for 'sufficiency of the learning process' (cross-domain)
2.7 - practical guidance for 'using simulation' (cross-domain and automotive)
3.2 practical guidance for 'mitigating potential deviations' (automotive)
- Body of Knowledge structure (PDF , 14kb) - the full Body of Knowledge structure (July 2019)
- Body of Knowledge scope and structure April 2019 (PDF , 2,031kb) - a document outlining the scope of the Body of Knowledge and information about each section
- Body of Knowledge - an Introduction (PDF , 1,137kb) - an earlier introduction to the Body of Knowledge (June 2018)
- You may also find our list of definitions used in the Body of Knowledge useful