We ask all new starters to provide evidence of your right to work in the UK.

We are required to obtain a copy of your original right to work documents or share code, check your right to work in the UK and then confirm your identity. All new starters are provided with a link to upload your documents before you start work at the University. Once we have these we will make arrangements to undertake an identity check.

From 6 April 2022 all non-British / Irish citizens are required to provide a Home Office Share code and can no longer use a biometric residence card of permit to prove their right to work.

What documents do I need?

There are several ways you can confirm your legal right to work in the UK, and the documents most often used are below and a full list of acceptable documents is available on the Government webpages.

British and Irish citizens

  • Passport - current or expired (photo, personal details and signature pages)
  • Birth Certificate / Adoption Certificate / Naturalisation Certificate together with proof of UK National Insurance Number (eg. National Insurance card or letter, a payslip from a previous employer or another document stating your name and National Insurance number issued by a Government agency

People who hold biometric residence permit (BRP) or a biometric residence card (BRC)

People who have obtained an EU Settlement Scheme status or have a digital immigration status (eVisa)

People who have an entry visa with work permission of less than 6 months

  • Passport showing stamped entry visa

International students

International students: For student visa holders who have limited permission to work during term-times, you must also provide details of your academic term and vacation times covering the duration of your period of study in the UK.

Taught students: Please provide a document confirming the term and vacation dates covering your period of study - this may be a PDF of a term dates webpage or a letter detailing your term and vacation dates.

Postgraduate Research students: Please request a confirmation of study letter confirming your study/term dates (University of York students can request this via E:vision

Please complete and upload the Student Visa Declaration.

I'm not sure I currently have the right to work in the UK

Name Changes

  • If your documents are in different names, please upload a document detailing both names, eg marriage certificate, divorce decree or deed poll document

Any questions or queries please contact hr-compliance@york.ac.uk