This glossary of ED&I terms was developed by the University of York’s Equality and Diversity Office, and we would like to acknowledge the invaluable support and contributions made by staff and student groups from across the institution, in particular:
- Members of the University’s staff networks’ Steering Group for: INCLUDE, Staff Race Equality Forum and LGBTI+ Matters Staff Network.
- Members of the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
- Members of the Culture and Good Practice Working Group within the Disability Inclusion Framework.
- The 2020/21 Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) Officers - in particular the Women, trans and non-binary Officer, the BAME Officer and the Religion and Faith Officer.
- The 2020/21 York University Students’ Union (YUSU) Officers - in particular the Disabled Students’ Officers, the Women & Non-binary Officers and the LGBTQ+ Officers.
- The 2020/21 Head of Departments for the Department of Health Sciences and the Department of Sociology.
- The Founding Chair of the EDI in Marketing Recruiting Access and Outreach (MRAO) group.
- University Trade Union representatives
- Along with the several other staff and student contacts we reached out to and who helped to shape the content of this glossary.
In the process of creating the University of York’s Glossary of ED&I Terminology, we have compiled internal University definitions, examined external resources and adapted some of the definitions found elsewhere in other glossaries and resources, as well as creating entirely new definitions; all with the intention of making this resource as comprehensive and as useful as possible, for anyone wishing to expand their knowledge of ED&I issues. We have attempted to reference and acknowledge, where possible, all of the external resources that were either used or helped to inspire and inform the creation of the definitions included in this glossary.