Welcome to the School of Natural Sciences.
We bring together specialists from a wide range of disciplines, such as Chemistry, Physics, Archaeology, Psychology, Environment and Biology. Find out more about our courses and what it's like to be a student here with York Virtual Visit.
You'll benefit from access to the extensive facilities from our contributing departments, as well as our popular Natural Sciences Learning Studio, a flexible space for socialising, revising and discussing your work.
1st in the UK for 'overall satisfaction' in Natural Sciences
Of the universities included in the 2021 National Student Survey
Natural Sciences Hour
Our weekly Natural Sciences Hour brings students together to hear from researchers and employers and to build transferable skills.
Our pathways are designed to align with the work of York's research centres, which are pushing the boundaries of knowledge. Choose from two pathway categories: interdisciplinary (in which you study multiple disciplines throughout your period of study) or specialisation (in which you study three or four subjects in the first year, specialising into a single subject in your final year).
All our courses are available as a three year BSc or four year integrated Masters, and you'll have the opportunity of either a placement year or a year abroad.
Our interdisciplinary courses allow you to benefit from the intersecting expertise of multiple departments.
- Natural Sciences specialising in Biophysical Science (BSc)
- Natural Sciences specialising in Biophysical Science (MSci)
- Natural Sciences specialising in Mathematical Bioscience (BSc)
- Natural Sciences specialising in Mathematical Bioscience (MSci)
- Natural Sciences specialising in Nanoscience (BSc)
- Natural Sciences specialising in Nanoscience (MSci)
- Natural Sciences specialising in Neuroscience (BSc)
- Natural Sciences specialising in Neuroscience (MSci)
Build your knowledge in several different disciplines before specialising in your final year.
- Natural Sciences specialising in Archaeology, Biology or Environment (Bsc)
- Natural Sciences specialising in Archaeology, Biology or Environment (MSci)
- Natural Sciences specialising in Archaeology, Biology, Chemistry or Environment (Bsc)
- Natural Sciences specialising in Archaeology, Biology, Chemistry or Environment (MSci)
- Natural Sciences specialising in Biology, Chemistry or Physics (BSc)
- Natural Sciences specialising in Biology, Chemistry or Physics (MSci)
- Natural Sciences specialising in Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics (BSc)
- Natural Sciences specialising in Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics (MSci)
Find another course
Hear from our students
Three things to look forward to about Natural Sciences at York
Posted by Sifa
Hello! I’m Sifa, a third year Natural Sciences student (Physics Specialisation) and I hope you enjoyed my postcard! With the summer term approaching and…
Day in the life of a Natural Sciences Student
Posted by Sifa
The typical day of a Natural Sciences student is rather full, but it’s so varied. 7am: time to organise I’m an early riser, and…
On placement with the Department of Physics
Posted by Finn
Hi, I’m Finn, a Natural Sciences student. I’m currently doing a placement as a Medical Microwave Imaging Research Technician & Project Coordinator in the…
My placement in advanced technologies at Merck
Posted by Megan
Hi, I’m Megan, a Natural Sciences (specialising in Nanoscience) student here at York. I’m currently doing a Placement Year working in the Performance Materials…
University of the Year shortlisted
“York is everything an outstanding university should be”
Find out how we made the shortlist for University of the Year in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022.
You've completed: 30%
Find a different course
Deciding on your course is a big decision - make sure you've discovered all your options.
Go to the start of York Virtual Visit.
Next stop: accommodation and colleges
We've got a wide variety of rooms and options to suit you and your budget - all arranged around our distinctive college system.