You can apply for postgraduate taught and research degrees using our online application system. Due to competition for places we recommend that you apply as early as possible.

Before you apply, please read this guidance thoroughly so that you understand the various steps in the application process.

1. Check the entry requirements

Taught courses

This includes MSc, MA, PG Dip, PG Cert and MRes.

Typically you would need at least the equivalent to a UK upper second class honours degree (2:1). However some courses will accept lower second class honours degrees (2:2) combined with relevant professional experience and/or vocational qualifications. Actual requirements will vary by course.

Research degrees

This includes PhD, Phil and MA/MSc by research.

Typically you would need an upper second class honours degree (or equivalent). We recommend that you visit departmental research pages and contact potential supervisors to discuss the research areas you're interested in. This will help to ensure a proper match between you and your prospective supervisor.

International applicants

You may also need to consider some additional factors including English language requirements and applying for a visa. 

Step 2: Check the application deadlines

Apply early

In most cases applications can be submitted throughout the year, however we recommend that you apply as early as possible due to competition for places.

If you're applying for funding you normally need hold an offer, so make sure to check the funding application deadlines. They usually fall between January and March.

Multiple recruitment rounds

The following courses hold multiple recruitment rounds:

  • PG Certificate Health Education for Health Care Professionals (all applicants)
  • MA in Education (international applicants)
  • MA in Accounting and Financial Management (international applicants)

Step 3: Apply online

Apply now for 2017/18

Applications for 2018/19 entry will open on 25 September 2017.

UCAS applications

If you're applying to one of the following courses you must apply through UCAS, rather than our online application system:

Supporting documents

You need to provide supporting documents alongside your application. The required documents vary by course. Once you've chosen a course we'll tell you which documents to provide. You can upload supporting documents during your application and after submission.

If you're unable to apply online, you can submit a paper application. Although we recommend you apply online where possible, as decision and response times are significantly longer for paper applications.