Do you want to be a professional director, producer, cinematographer, editor, sound designer or VFX artist?
Develop the technical, critical and creative skills to realise your career ambitions in film and television production. Our suite of interconnected programmes allows you to pursue an individual specialism while working collaboratively on group projects in a professional production environment.
As part of the School of Arts and Creative Technologies, you will learn from experienced and award-winning teachers and creative practitioners, build a portfolio using industry-standard facilities and equipment, enhance your professional skills and employability, and benefit from being part of a wider creative community with extensive industry links.
I decided to pursue a masters degree in order to move my career forward. I hoped to get the experience and confidence that I could be thrown onto any set and know I'd succeed. I would recommend that if you are looking for a focused learning environment, instructors eager to teach and give advice, and a community that embraces its members, then York is perfect for you.
Daniel, MA Film and Television Production
Study the practical problems and creative challenges in film and television production, from page to soundstage.
- Film and Television Production with Cinematography (MA)
- Film and Television Production with Directing (MA)
- Film and Television Production with Producing (MA)
- Film and Television Production with Sound (MA)
- Film and Television Production with Sound (MSc)
- Film and Television Production with Editing (MA)
Explore our Masters by research degrees or search all postgraduate taught courses.
Work in industry-standard facilities
You'll have access to professional soundstages, two professional HD television studios, theatre stages, extensive picture and sound post-production suites, as well as access to location production equipment from industry-leading providers such as ARRI, RED, Sound Devices, Neumann and many more.
All our Film and Television Production courses are accredited by ScreenSkills, the skills and training body for the British film and television industries.
UNESCO city of Media Arts
From digital innovation to media arts, York is a creative hub for innovation and ideas. Also a member of the Creative Cities network, for two millennia York has been the meeting point for the ideas and creativity of the world.
Find out more about our facilities.
Scholarships and funding
Find out more about funding your Masters degree.
- We incorporate masterclasses from industry professionals to support your professional development. As part of our dedicated careers support, you’ll have the opportunity to attend talks, productions and festivals.
- You'll enter the professional world equipped with the creative, analytic, technical and practical skills relevant to your production specialisation and an understanding of the collaborative nature of screen production.
- The skills you'll develop are highly transferable and you'll find there's a wide variety of careers open to you across screen production, the creative industries, education or any industry that uses screen media to communicate with its customers, clients and audiences.
Our graduates are the entrepreneurial and innovative creative practitioners of the future, contributing to global screen industries that are hungry for new talent and ideas. Recent graduates have gone on to careers in film and television across the world, using the skills and knowledge acquired on our programmes.
- Hear stories from York alumni (alumnivoices.co.uk)
- Discover the career choices of alumni from our School - browse graduate profiles.