Skip to content Accessibility statement
Home>Study at York>Postgraduate research>Why York>Study abroad

Study, work or volunteer abroad

Get a global learning experience that will enhance your career prospects.

It may be possible to study, work or volunteer abroad as part of your research degree for up to one year.

These life-changing opportunities add an enriching dimension to your research. You'll make connections that will enhance your career prospects and you'll gain a new perspective in your field of expertise.

Opportunities abroad

  • European exchanges and work placements: apply for a study exchange or traineeship at one of our partner universities or organisations
  • International study centres: immerse yourself in a two-week intensive academic and cultural experience at an international partner university
  • Go to the USA ( explore Fulbright scholarship opportunities for research and taught Masters study in any field at a university in the USA
  • Other funding opportunities: we also offer a number of other funding opportunities for postgraduate students to study abroad.


York has links with top academic institutions and employers all over the world. You can choose options such as a year in an American college town, a bustling capital city such as Singapore or Seoul, or in a regional town in Europe closer to York. International Study Centres travel to different destinations across the world every year.

However long you go for, you'll have a challenging and rewarding experience, see a different culture and gain a new set of skills to impress potential employers.

Visiting students

Already studying a postgraduate degree at another university? If you'd like to experience life at an overseas university, you can apply to spend time at York as a visiting student.

Discover your options