The UK left the EU on 31 January 2020 and completed the transition period on 31 December 2020. The University of York is a welcoming, inclusive, international community. Wherever you live in the world, whether in the EU or beyond, we encourage you to come and study with us.

Student visas

Before arriving in the UK, you’ll need to apply for a Student (previously Tier 4) visa and pay an Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) which is currently £470 per year.

Find out more about Student visas

If you’re an EU applicant already living in the UK, you’ll need to have applied for settled or pre-settled status by 30 June 2021.

Tuition fees

You'll pay the international fee rate if you join us from the 2021/22 academic year. If you're an EU citizen living in the UK with settled or pre-settled status, or an Irish national living in the UK or Ireland, you'll be eligible for UK (home) fee rate as long as the usual residency requirements are met.

If you're an applicant who has deferred entry from this academic year (2020/21) to next academic year (2021/22) you'll still only have to pay the home fees rate.

We'll review our fee status assessments alongside UK Government and industry body advice once guidance has been published.

Find out more about fees and funding for EU nationals

Student loans

From the 2021/22 academic year you must have settled or pre-settled status to be eligible for student finance.

Visiting students

If you’re a visiting student applying to study on an exchange programme or studying on one of our shorter courses from 30 June 2021 you’ll need to apply for:

Find out more about applying to be a visiting student