Accessibility statement

Apply for an extension

Taught postgraduate students



An extension of submission is required for a student who will not be able to submit their work within the normal period of their enrolment.

Students DO NOT require an extension where the submission deadline falls on a Saturday, Sunday, Bank Holiday or during the Examinations Office’s closed period over the Christmas vacation, submission will be accepted on the next working day after the deadline. For example if the submission deadline was 31 December 2021, the student would be expected to submit the next working day for submission, which was 04 January 2022.

If you are considering requesting an extension of submission deadline, you should submit an Exceptional Circumstances claim following the procedures in place for this in your department.

Extensions beyond the completion date for taught postgraduate students are granted only in exceptional circumstances. This is where the student’s work has been hampered by documented medical, personal, or unexpected academic circumstances or exceptional circumstances arising from employment. The magnitude of the research task, or failure on the part of the candidate to perceive or act upon the magnitude of the research task, is NOT a sufficient reason for an extension. If a student wishes to apply for an extension of submission, they must apply in advance for permission to do so.

If your thesis was referred for revision and resubmission, you can also apply for extension of resubmission using the same guidelines.

As far as possible, you should submit an exceptional circumstances form (with evidence) before the submission deadline, as the extension may not always be approved. 



The total period of extension that may normally be approved for a taught student is a maximum of two years.

If the Exceptional Circumstances Affecting Assessment (ECA) Committee upholds a request for an deadline extension which takes the student more than 12 months beyond the end-date of their enrolment, a recommendation for extension of enrolment will be made by your academic department to the Special Cases Committee (SCC). Any deadline approved by the ECA which takes a student beyond the end-date of their programme is subject to approval by SCC, which is not automatic. SCC can decide to approve a shorter, interim extension or may require interim progress reports to be submitted.

Further years of extension of submission are normally only granted on significant extenuating circumstances and require special permission from the Special Cases Committee.


Criteria and conditions

Use of the Library

During the period of the extension you may borrow books, use the Library for reference and access Library online resources all free of charge. 

Student visas

If you are an international student and you wish to take an extension of submission, you are advised to consult with an Immigration Adviser before taking this step.

The University is required to report any change in enrolment for an international student to UK Visas and Immigration within 10 days of the start date of the leave of absence.

For more information see the Immigration Advice Service website.


You are responsible to inform the University when requesting an extension of submission if you receive funding from an external source: research council studentships, foreign loans, sponsors, scholarships, charities, etc. It is your responsibility to ensure that the proposed extension is compatible with the regulations of any granting agency and that such agencies are informed of the proposed extension.

Funding is normally only provided for the period originally indicated to you at the beginning of your award. You will not normally receive additional funding for your extension period.

Foreign loans

Students on student loan programs should clarify the consequences that an extension of enrolment might have on their repayment status.

US loans

For further information please see the Student Financial Support Website.

Externally funded scholarships (eg Research councils studentships)

If your studies are supported by an external funder (eg Research Council), you should speak to your department/supervisor and check the specific terms and conditions of your external funding before requesting a formal extension of enrolment since there may be implications to your studentship.

In general, if you are in writing up status you can apply for an extension to the submission date of your thesis for reasons such as maternity, illness or other exceptional personal circumstances, but your request may need to be approved by the external funding body (eg Research Councils)  as an individual case. Most external funding bodies (eg Research Councils) WILL NOT consider a request to extend the submission deadline for a student on the grounds that they have taken up employment.

Retrospective extension requests and extensions requests related to previous difficulties will not be considered by Research Councils.

External Funding bodies (eg Research Councils) will only fund you for the period originally indicated to you at the beginning of your award. You will not receive additional funding for your extension period.

For more information please see your external funder’s website.

Library Access

Where an extension of submission deadline is approved, access to computing and library facilities will be provided for the period of the extension. Access to computing and library facilities will end after the extension period is over.

Council tax

If you are considered a full-time student, under certain circumstances, you may be eligible to claim Council Tax Exemption.

Part-time students are not exempt from Council Tax, either during or after their period of part-time enrolment.

For more information please see the Council Tax website.


How to apply

All recommendations for extension of submission must be on the appropriate form and should only be submitted after the Exceptional Circumstances Affecting Assessment (ECA) Committee has considered the extension request and proposed a provisional new deadline.

An application form will be completed by your academic department once you have submitted your Exceptional Circumstances claim.


If you wish to apply for an extension of submission, you should submit an Exceptional Circumstances Claim to your academic Department. If the Exceptional Circumstances Affecting Assessment (ECA) Committee uphold your request for an extension of submission, and this takes you beyond the end-date for your programme of study, your department should then complete the Extension of Enrolment Form and will then forward it on for approval.

If your application is successful, you will receive an extension of submission email confirmation to your University of York email account, confirming the new submission deadline and required conditions.

Any posted correspondence will be sent to your current contact address, so please ensure your information is correct on your e:Vision account.

If you require a hard copy of the letter for visa purposes, please state this on the extension of submission form.

Who to contact

For academic progress issues you should talk to your supervisor.

You may also find the following contacts helpful:

  • Student Welfare Advisor
  • Student Support Office
  • Student Financial Support
  • Immigration Advice Service
  • International Student Support

See our  page for further details.