PhD Application Workshop
Posted on 4 October 2019
Are you thinking about applying to do a PhD?
Would you like some help in developing a strong application for a studentship at York Law School?
York Law School: 4th December 2019
- Are you thinking about applying to do a PhD?
- Would you like some help in developing a strong application for a studentship at York Law School?
We invite applications for attendance at a free workshop for students considering applying for a studentship in 2020 at York Law School. Up to ten travel bursaries of up to £50 are being offered for attendance at the workshop.
What PGR funding is available?
- UK & EU students can apply to ESRC and AHRC for funding to undertake postgraduate research at York Law School
- York Law School also underwrites the ESRC/AHRC competitions by offering one comparable studentship to the strongest ESRC/AHRC applicant in the event that no YLS applicant wins an ESRC/AHRC award
- Various competitive schemes are available to non-EU applicants (see: https://www.york.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-research/funding/)
What are the aims of the workshop?
- to help you draft a strong application for entry to the programme and for funding
- to offer support and feedback from senior members of YLS with experience of assessing PhD funding applications
Where will it take place? When does it start? When does it finish? Will there be a free lunch?
- York Law School, University of York
- Wednesday 4th December 2019, 11am to 3pm
- There will be a free lunch
Who should attend?
- you should have a 1st or strong 2:1 degree in law or a related discipline,
- preferably, you’ll also have a Masters degree (though applicants undertaking Masters study in 2019-20 will be considered too)
- you will be considering applying to YLS to do a PhD
How do I apply?
- To apply, you must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org the following:
- A short curriculum vitae
- A short statement of your proposed doctoral topic (250 - 500 words)
- A short statement on how your proposed doctoral research fits with one of YLS’ research cluster themes and identify any members of staff you think may be appropriate supervisors (100 words max)
- The deadline for applications is 5pm, Friday 15st November, 2019 but we welcome early applications.
- We will let you know promptly (usually within 10 days) whether your application for the workshop has been successful.