The Department welcomes strong applications for externally funded research fellowships. We offer fellows a supportive and dynamic research environment which hosts regular seminars and other events.
The University of York is home to an award-winning research training and development programme and a vibrant community of early career researchers.
Please see below details relating to the following upcoming fellowship opportunities:
Specifics of the scheme
These European Commission-funded fellowships are aimed at early career researchers who wish to carry out research activities abroad, acquire new skills, and develop their careers.
There are two types of MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships:
- European Postdoctoral Fellowships: open to researchers moving within Europe or coming to Europe from another part of the world to pursue their research career, these fellowships take place in an EU Member State or Horizon Europe Associated Country (including the UK) and can last between one and two years. Researchers of any nationality can apply.
- Global Postdoctoral Fellowships: funding the mobility of researchers outside Europe, these fellowships last between two and three years, of which the first one to two years will be spent in a non-associated Third Country, followed by a mandatory return phase of one year in an organisation based in an EU Member State or Horizon Europe Associated Country (including the UK). Only nationals or long-term residents of the EU Member States or Horizon Europe Associated Countries can apply.
- have a PhD at the time of the deadline for applications. Applicants who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but who have not yet formally received their doctorate are also eligible.
- have a maximum of eight years experience in research, from the date of the award of their PhD. Career breaks outside research will not count towards this maximum, nor will years of experience in research in Third Countries for nationals or long-term residents of EU Member States or Horizon Europe Associated Countries who wish to reintegrate to Europe.
- comply with mobility rules, i.e. they must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the UK (for European Postdoctoral Fellowships), or at the host organisation for the outgoing phase (for Global Postdoctoral Fellowships), for more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately before the call deadline.
Funding is provided for:
- a living allowance
- a mobility allowance
- if applicable, family, long-term leave and special needs allowances
- research, training and networking activities
Further details, including eligibility criteria, are available on the MSCA website.
The UK and Horizon Europe
The UK and EU are still negotiating the UK's association to Horizon Europe (the EU's major funding programme for research and innovation).
To provide certainty to the research and innovation community, UK Research and Innovation (UKRI, the UK's national governmental research funding agency) has guaranteed to fund successful applications in the event of non-association, or an ongoing delay to association. This guarantee has now been extended to include applications with a submission deadline up to 30 September 2023.
Applicants can therefore be sure that they can apply for an MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship with the University of York, and in the event of a successful outcome, they will receive funding for their fellowship either from the EC or from UKRI. Applications to the scheme from UK organisations will be accepted and assessed in exactly the same way as applications from other eligible countries. Applicants should note that the UK Government's desired outcome remains association to Horizon Europe.
Apply to be hosted in our department
The Department has a particularly strong record in successfully supporting applications to the MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships. We seek excellent applicants whose proposed research complements the work of our research clusters and who have identified a suitable mentor among our academic staff.
If you wish to apply for an MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Department of Economics and Related Studies, please complete an Expression of Interest (EoI) and email it to our Research Facilitator, Megan Rose (email@example.com), no later than 2 July 2023.
You will be informed by 10 July whether we have decided to support your application. If your EoI is successful, you will work on your full application with support from your academic mentor and the departmental Research Facilitator.
The deadline for the MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships competition is 13 September 2023.
The Department of Economics and Related Studies at the University of York welcomes expressions of interest from potential applicants for the BA Postdoctoral Fellowships.
These fellowships, which last for three years, are made to an annual cohort of outstanding early career researchers in the humanities or social sciences, to enable them to pursue an independent research project involving completion of a significant piece of publishable research.
British citizens and any nationals from the European Economic Area are eligible, regardless of where their doctorate was obtained, as is anyone of any nationality who has a doctorate from a UK university. If an applicant does not meet the prior categories, they may be accepted if they can demonstrate ‘strong prior association’ with the UK academic community. This typically means a current significant period – with a minimum period of one year, which will need to be completed prior to your application being submitted - of employment at a UK institution in either a teaching or research position which is not permanent. Postgraduate degrees (MA or MSc) do not count.
Applicants must be at an early stage of their career. For this opportunity, this is defined as being within three years from the date of your successful viva voce examination, so for this round of competition, applicants are expected to have completed their viva voce between 1 April 2021 and 1 April 2024. The applicant must already be of postdoctoral status at the time when the Research Awards Committee meets.
If you wish to apply for a British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Department of Economics and Related Studies, please complete an Expression of Interest (EoI) and email it to our Research Facilitator, Megan Rose (firstname.lastname@example.org), no later than 23 July 2023.
You will be informed by 31 July whether we have decided to support your application. If your EoI is successful, you will work on your full application with support from your academic mentor and the departmental Research Facilitator.
The deadline for the outline stage of the British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships competition is 4 October 2023.
Information session for prospective applicants
The University will be running an online information session for prospective applicants on Tuesday 18 July, from 14:00-15:30 UK time, which will include information on the scheme, a talk from a current BA Fellow, and reviewer insights. If you think you could be interested in applying, we would encourage you to join this event.