COVID-19 UPDATE: Please be aware that many Vanbrugh Rocks facilities are currently closed until they can be made Covid-19 secure. (Vanbrugh Instrument Lending Library is NOW OPEN)
Vanbrugh College has long played host to a number of musical activities, events and facilities that are available for all members of the University of York, staff and students.
Interested in anything band? Vanbrugh Rocks is an informal group organised by our Rock Tutor with the aim of giving focus to college members who are interested in forming bands, of any style of music, and/or joining in various activities that support musicians. Membership gives you access to our facilities, advice from our music staff. and invitations to free workshops, subsidised training sessions, and music-themed events.
Take or Offer Music Lessons
Join The Colleges' Music Program and Access Vanbrugh Rocks Facilities:
Sign up here for the College's Music Program for FREE and we will be in touch when facilities are able to open:
Join College's Music Program Form
Vanbrugh Rock Tutor
Steven Burton (firstname.lastname@example.org) along with a number of staff and students around Vanbrugh and the University, co-ordinate workshops, training sessions, music lessons, jamming groups and music nights and will generally help to put you in touch with the people you need to talk to. Whether you are looking for advice on getting your first gig, busking in the City, where to find an open mic night or your band needs a new drummer, get in touch and sign up to the Vanbrugh Rocks mailing list.
Vanbrugh Rocks Events and Activities
An example of free workshops and music activities include:
- Guitar Clinic
- Studio Technician Training
- Advanced Studio Recording Workshops
- Post-production Mixing Workshops
- Microphone Technique workshops
- Guitar Lessons
- Singing Lessons
- DARSH - Drum and Rhythm Section Hub
Guitar Repair / Set Up
For help with electric guitar set up, repairs, rewiring, and upgrades, email: Barry Crump
Find a piano around campus
Around Derwent College:
- University of York Music Society: https://uoymusicsociety.org/rooms/ - 4 rooms located at Derwent College with both upright and grand pianos.
- Derwent General Common Room (GCR): Electric Piano for us with permission of College Administrator (Derwent Student only).
Around Vanbrugh College:
- The Warren, Vanbrugh's House opposite the Information Centre: Electric piano available for use with headphones, 9am-5pm weekdays and some evenings when staff are present.
- Vanbrugh's 'The Garage': Digital piano. See www.york.ac.uk/colleges/vanbrugh/music/garage/ for information on how to access.
- The Junior Common Room (JCR), in the Vanbrugh Nucleus: upright piano, available anytime, soon to be replaced!
- Vanbrugh Arms (Bar): upright piano, can be played with permission from bar staff.
- Vanbrugh GSCR (first floor of the Vanbrugh Nucleus): Upright piano; digital piano (choirs only); electric organ; harmonium (repair project). Open 9am-6pm providing there are no activities on.
- Department of Music pianos are for registered music students only.
Around James College:
- James Lakeside Common Room: Electric piano (accessible to James residents).
Around Wentworth College:
- Common Room: Electric Piano
Around Halifax College:
- Faxy Cafe in JJ's: Upright piano
- JJ's Common Room Stage: Electric Piano
- Constantine College Constantine Forum, upstairs in The Loft: Upright piano and digital keyboard, available between 8.30am and 4pm weekdays (except during local school holidays when keycard access is required 24hrs). Constantine students with keycard access only evenings and weekends.
- Langwith College The Basement: 2 practice rooms with upright pianos. Contact email@example.com for information on how to join and use.
- Digital piano in The Corner Room, LHO/A/007. Access 8am to 9pm for resident Langwith students. Non-resident Langwith students can have access added to their student cards at Ron Cook Hub Reception.
- Goodricke College Goodricke Nucleus GNU/004 and GNU/009: 2 upright pianos, available for Goodricke students with keycard access.