Skip to content Accessibility statement
Home>School of Arts and Creative Technologies>Study>Research degrees in theatre, film, television and interactive media>Filmmaking (by research) (MA)

MA Filmmaking (by research)

This degree encompasses all phases of development, preproduction, production and postproduction of a short film or television pilot (20-30 minutes). You will also submit an analytical essay of 3000-5000 words to set your creative work within its research context.

The MA by Research in Filmmaking has no taught element. You will work independently with support from your academic supervisor.

Entry requirements and application

You will normally be expected to have at least a 2:1 undergraduate degree or equivalent qualification. You may be invited for an interview and asked to send samples of your creative practice work.

  • Curriculum Vitae (CV)
  • Degree transcript
  • Two References
  • Research proposal
  • Sample work

We require the submission of sample work (eg, portfolio of short films, television projects, etc.) to give us a sense of your filmmaking skills and knowledge of the process.  This can be via web links to a service such as Vimeo or YouTube or via physical media (but we prefer the former). 

Applicants also need to provide a proposal as to the film they would be looking to create over the year. This should include a basic story idea and outline of how you would approach production. A major part of the course involves script development so we are not looking for ideas that are necessarily finished but rather want to confirm that you have a clear sense of what you are looking to do with a reasonably realistic view of how it can be done. Note that more than one film may be produced as part of the degree depending on the proposal. For example, it may be possible to produce a number of very short form pieces around a common theme.   

We consider each proposal based on its objectives and merits.

You can find full guidance on how to apply to our MA by Research in Filmmaking on the York study webpage.

When you are ready to apply, you will need to complete an application form and upload an academic transcript and research proposal. If you are an international student, you will need to upload a copy of your latest English language certificate.

Specific entry requirements and funding opportunities for your country

English language requirements

Overseas students requiring a Student Visa:

If you are an overseas student who requires a Student Visa to enter the UK, you will not be permitted to undertake part-time study. For further information, please refer to the UKCISA website.


The tuition fee rates for all postgraduate research programmes in the department are classroom-based. 

Find out more

For more information please contact Dr Guy Schofield.

Apply now