We have three large performance spaces right here on campus.
Sir Jack Lyons Concert Hall
One of the finest acoustics for instrumental and vocal performance in the north of England.
- A 350-seat hexagonal concert hall
- Hosts performances by professional visiting artists, as well as University ensembles, orchestras, choirs and lunchtime concerts by the student-run Music Society
- Full lighting rig, high quality video streaming and recording capabilities for concerts and recitals
- Houses a full-sized organ and two Steinway grand pianos
- Also used as rehearsal space for many of our ensembles, as well as a practice space for percussionists and organists
The Arthur Sykes Rymer Auditorium
One of the best listening spaces for reproduced sound in the UK, used for the performance of contemporary electronic music and sound art, along with performances from a variety of musical traditions. Available for postgraduate students to use as rehearsal space.
- In-house 5.1 Genelec surround-sound system with 16-channel full ambisonics
- Full-wall HD projection screen and a Fazioli grand piano
- 32 analogue tie lines to the SSL-equipped Trevor Jones Recording Studio
- Constructed to prevent external noise from entering the space (performs to a PNC specification better than the PNC 15 standard)