Green Impact is an environmental accreditation programme run as part of the University's Carbon Management Plan. It is a national programme that rewards people's green habits in the workplace which is run by NUS on our behalf. Depending on the number of sustainability boosting actions you achieve from our workbook, your team will get awarded:
If you are interested in greening your workplace or help the University reduce its carbon emissions, come and join us !
We are passionate about what we are doing and will support you as much as possible. For example we also help you with the actions by providing you with necessary resources to put them into place so you don't have to spend extra time designing them. Team to team mentoring is also encouraged so that everyone feels as supported as possible.
You can have a look at the kind of actions we ask team to achieve by logging on the workbook. Follow the instruction on the box to the right
The awards are presented in June along with a celebratory lunch ! Last year they were presented by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Saul Tendler and attended by Heads of the Departments involved.
If you want to get involved email us at GreenImpact@york.ac.uk to start greening your workplace today and get sustainability at York into action !
By being part of a Green Impact team, you will get the satisfaction of doing your bit for the environment and be recognised for your efforts. The project emphasises team-work and project management, both being valuable and transferrable skills. The students involved also get valuable work experience with York Award and IEMA accredited training.
1. Check if your workplace has got a team.
2. Email your team's lead to contact your Departmental team or alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org to get you started.
3. Register to access your Green Impact workbook using your University email address.
4. Either select to join an existing team to join or create a new team.
2. Register to become a Green Impact Project Assistant or audit the team's work after the workbook submission in March.
3. Email email@example.com to get information on how to get involved.
The submission deadline for the workbook is the 2nd of March 2018. Start filling it in and get saving ! Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries.
In order to achieve a Gold Award, you have to have achieved all of the Bronze and Silver actions. You must then pick actions from the bonus tab on the online workbook and achieve 400 points in total. That's Gold for you!
Excellence projects allow you to plan and carry out your own sustainability project at the University. You can start Excellence once you've achieved Gold for 2 years running and must complete the 'Bronze' tab whilst working on Excellence so you keep revisiting the workbook whilst doing your project.
Examples of Excellence Projects teams at York are currently working on are:
In 2017/18 we have 3 new teams who will be working on carrying out Excellence projects:
- tHink gReen
- Health Sciences
- Chemistry At York
The table below shows all our teams who successfully gained accreditation in the 2016/17 cycle - join today to see your team here next year!
|Biology Teaching Labs||Working Towards Excellence|
|York Conferences||Working Towards Excellence|
|Alcuin College||Working Towards Excellence|
|Chemistry At York||Gold|
|Chemistry Teaching Labs||Silver Labs|
|Economics and Related Studies||Working Towards Excellence|
|YUSU Catering Services||Working Towards Excellence|
|Research and Entreprise||Gold|
|WACL Waste Warriors||Gold|
|Green Chemistry||Bronze/ Bronze Labs|
So far we have 3 new teams who have joined for 2017/18. These are :
Jo Enderby (tHink gReen) has been hailed HR "green organising Charity Queen" and achieved the Award as a result of her contributions to the community, including her Red Nose Day cake sale, Wimbledon themed staff picnic and Great HR Bake Off and tombola. She also took part in the Toilet Twinning project and raised money to build a toilet for a family in Nepal and a block of Girls' toilets in Sierra Leone. Well done Jo!
Emma Lewis has been awarded for her fantastic work ethic and attendence to all of the worshops, events and meetings - she has been a huge asset to the Computer Science team.
The Vice Chancellors Department have used innovative techniques to engage more people in sustainability. One of their actions included running a Green stall for One Planet Week with sustainable freebies and a raffle.
Green Careers developed an initiative to aid the wooded area next to Careers by planting woodland plant plugs and building a bee hotel. Twelve students and staff took part with help from Gordon Eastman and his team.
The Department of Economics and Related Studies collected the award on behalf of Michelle Hickman who was instrumental in directing the excellence project towards encouraging changes that support a more sustainble way of life.
To help you complete as many actions as possible, we have provided a resource bank - feel free to use any of them as part of your project! For more resources and to view/share those made by our Green Impact teams check out the Google Site Resources page.
Each resource will help to complete an action in the online workbook and, where possible, we have included the action number to make it even easier.
General Green Impact posters (MS PowerPoint , 4,311kb) - A collection of all the posters we have made so far.
Send us through any resources that you have made yourself so we can put them online for everybody's benefit!
Bronze Guide 2018 (MS Word , 366kb) - A Guide to all standard Bronze actions 2018
Labs Bronze guide 2018 (MS Word , 105kb) - A Guide to all Labs Bronze actions 2018
Bronze Posters (MS PowerPoint , 2,981kb) - A collection of posters you can put up to help meet Bronze actions
5 actions in 15 mins 2018 (MS Word , 683kb)- A set of 5 actions that can be completed in 15 minutes - great if you don't know where to start ! Actions included are B001, B003, B008, B022 and B028.
Lighting&Equipment plan (MS Word , 660kb)- The plan for action B009, also available for Catering teams Catering Lighting&Equipment Plan (MS Word , 673kb)
Silver Guide 2018 (MS Word , 1,583kb)- A Guide to all standard Silver actions 2018
Labs Silver guide 2018 (MS Word , 106kb) - A Guide to all Labs Silver actions 2018
Silver Posters (MS PowerPoint , 2,322kb) - A collection of posters you can put up to help meet Silver actions
SMART planning template (MS Word , 794kb) - A template for the SMART action plan needed to complete action S020
Energy Audit template (MS Word , 486kb)A template for the Energy audit needed for action S015
Bonus Guide 2018 (MS Word , 1,675kb) - A Guide to all Bonus actions 2018
Labs Bonus Guide 2018 (MS Word , 111kb) - A Guide to all Labs Bonus actions 2018
Catering Guide 2018 (MS Word , 1,677kb) - A Guide to all Catering actions 2018
A lot of other websites have useful information on Green Impact and other related issues. We have provided links to some of these - if you have found a website you think belongs here, send us an e-mail and we'll add it to our list. Also check the 'Further Information' tab for each action in your sustainable action list - you will often find useful links there.
- The University's Cycling Information page is very useful, particularly for actions B012, B013, C038
- The National Energy Fund's Carbon Calculator is useful for calculating Carbon Footprints - useful for generally raising awareness and putting things into context or specifically for actions C035 & C036
- Go Green is a blog about environmentally friendly workplaces with some good ideas, particularly
- The Fairtrade Supporter Resources might be of use to you for ation C044
- The Energy Saving Trust have good tips on how to maximise your fuel efficiency - great for training staff in action C032
- The Green Impact website has a good resource bank, but the whole site is worth a look if you are taking part
- The Carbon Trust have a good page for Employee Awareness with posters, stickers and general awareness raising
- The University's Don't Waste the Waste pages provide a wealth of information on recycling and are a good point of reference if you have any questions regarding recycling and waste - e-mail Environmental Manager email@example.com if you have a specific question or wish to request recycling bins
- British Gas have some good posters you can use in your department
- The UoY Sustainability blog post interesting and relevent content about how to reduce your environmental impact and enhance your sustainability.
- The UoY Economical site was created to encourage changes that will both support a more sustainable way of life and save money. It is managed by the Department of Economics Green Imapct team.
Green Impact coordinator
Take a look At the Action List
Log in using these details to get an insider's peek into the Green Impact Action List before you sign up!
password : example