The University runs many projects to help get staff and students involved in sustainabilty. Explore the projects below to find out more about how you can take part!
A greening programme open to all staff members and postgraduates
Sharing best practice for environmental behaviour within departments
Week 6 is our One Planet Week - How to live within our One Planet means rather than the 3 planet rate of resource use that Europe is currently following! Check out our events page https://www.facebook.com/UoYOnePlanet/events/ to see what is going on and sign up to our pledges (bit.ly/UoYOnePlanet) to do your bit. You could even win a prize!
An energy saving competition for students in halls of residence
Within the University:
- Travel and Transport Events including Bike events
- Environment & Ethics within YUSU
- Edible Uni
- Paid sustainability intern for Green Impact and Student Switch Off
- Paid sustainability intern for One Planet Week
In the City of York:
- St Nicholas Fields - off Lawrence St, St Nicks Sustainability Projects enable people to move towards a sustainable future.
- Yorkshire Wildlife Trust - Protecting wildlife, educating, influencing and empowering people.
- City of York Council's climate change page - information on past & current projects as well as tips for greening your home.
Check here for ways to get involved with what we're doing:
Staff and students can work together towards an award with Green Impact by engaging with their easy to adopt schemes and encouraging others to do the same.
The Green Impact program has a lot to offer and is highly flexible. It can be as simple as switching off lights to receiving environmental auditor training. Compete with other departments to win awards at the end of the year!
If you are passionate about sustainability and want to find out more about making a difference on campus then drop us an email at email@example.com to enquire about joining/starting a team in your department.
Once the hard-working Green Impact teams submit their workbooks in February, we start looking for student volunteer auditors. These volunteers will undertake IEMA-approved training prior to being given the opportunity to audit teams of staff across the University. Both the training and the experience will count towards your York Award.
Skills and knowledge you will gain from the day, aiding your CV and employability, include experience of:
Training will take place at the end of term 2 - check the Sustainability Events calendar for more details. For more information and to register your interest, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.