Confused about UCAS clearing and adjustment? Our helpful guide will help you prepare.
Keep up-to-date with the latest information about our vacancies, find out more about York and get results day tips.
What is clearing?
Clearing can help you find a place on an excellent course at a leading university like York. It's a way for universities to fill remaining places and it's available from July to September.
Meet York student Matt, who will talk you through his experience of clearing and how things worked out even better than he expected.
- Friday 5 July 2019: If you already have your exam results, you can now apply through clearing. Early vacancies are available on our web pages.
- Tuesday 6 August 2019: SQA results day and when clearing opens for Scottish students.
- Wednesday 14 August 2019: Vacancies are published on our web pages in the early evening.
- Thursday 15 August 2019: A level results day and when the main clearing and adjustment period opens.
- If we make you an offer through clearing or adjustment, we'll invite you to our visit day on Tuesday 20 August.
Is clearing for me?
There are lots of reasons why you may apply through clearing. You may be looking to change your subject or career path. Maybe your exams don't go to plan. No matter what your situation or background, clearing can open up exciting opportunities.
You can apply for a place through clearing if:
- you’re applying after 30 June
- you're not holding any offers from universities or colleges you’ve applied to (or you've declined all your offers)
- your place is not confirmed after your exam results have been published
It's never too late to change your career path. Clearing is a great opportunity for students who haven't yet applied to find a university place.
If you're over 21 when you start your course, you're classed as a mature student. You may not need to have the same academic qualifications as school-leaving applicants to apply for a place. You'll need to show enthusiasm and passion for your chosen subject and have some recent experience of studying. You may also need work or subject expertise.
What is adjustment?
Exams gone better than you expected? If you have met and exceeded the grades needed for your conditional offer, you may be able to use UCAS adjustment to find an alternative course. You may wish to stick with your original choice and your conditional offer will become unconditional. However, adjustment allows you to see if there are alternative options for which you now meet the entry requirements. It's available on 15 August via UCAS Track.
The choice is York
Read about the many reasons bright minds choose to study at York.
Quick guide to York
Discover our quirky campus and exciting city.
Our current students share their experiences.
Ready to apply? Explore our courses.Browse vacancies
Got a question?
Hear first-hand what it's like at York.Chat with a student
Get a feel for campus on a student-led tour.Book now
Ready to apply?
Call us on +44 (0)1904 234868.