We all feel anxiety - a natural response to the threat of danger. With help, it can be more manageable.
Moderate levels of anxiety can help us perform well in certain situations, such as job interviews or exams. However, excessive anxiety over a prolonged period, anxiety triggered by harmless situations or with no apparent cause, can become problematic.
It’s natural for you to want to escape from difficult situations or avoid them altogether. However, this will only increase anxiety in the long run. Take control by:
- looking after yourself physically
- eating a balanced diet
- reducing alcohol, caffeine and smoking
- taking regular exercise (swimming is particularly good)
- writing a list of all the things that are bothering you and looking at how you might use the skills you have to address them
- distracting yourself with music, talking to a friend or doing a physical activity that you enjoy
How can we help?
See the mindfulness videos in our tips for wellbeing.
You might also find it helpful to attend one of our wellbeing workshops. See what's on this term.