History BA Undergraduate Scholarship
Thanks to the generosity of our donors, the Department of History is delighted to announce the History BA Undergraduate Scholarship, awarded each year to a student commencing their undergraduate studies in the Department of History who best meets the eligibility criteria.
The History BA Undergraduate Scholarship has been established to provide support to talented students who have the academic potential to study History at York and for whom a BA Honours degree in History (or a BA Combined Honours degree that includes History) would enable them to fulfil their educational and professional ambitions.
Open to International (including EU) and UK (home) students.
Open to students in the Department of History.
The scholarship is open to applications from students commencing an undergraduate degree in the Department of History in September 2021. This includes students studying for a Combined Honours degree, providing that History is one of the subjects studied.
To be considered for the History BA Undergraduate Scholarship, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You are holding an offer to study for the BA in History (or a Combined degree that includes History) in the Department of History at the University of York, for entry in September 2021.
- Your family has a Residual Household Income (RHI) of £42,875 or less (see 'Terms and conditions' below).
- You can demonstrate, via a written statement of up to 500 words, that the History BA Undergraduate Scholarship will enable you to fulfil your educational and professional ambitions.
Application deadline: Monday 20 September 2021, 11.59pm BST
Further details on how to apply will be made available on this page from 10 August 2021.
If you are registered for a four-year degree, the scholarship is not paid in third year, which is usually the year abroad/placement component, and instead, the third instalment of £1,000 will be paid in the final year of study.
What is Residual Household Income (RHI)?
- RHI is gross taxable income, minus pension contributions and an allowance for each child deemed to be in education. This assessment is conducted by the student's funding agency, eg Student Finance England. It could also be referred to as the assessed household income.
- An assessment that has been conducted by the student’s funding agency is essential in determining whether applicants to the scholarship meet this criterion for a RHI of £42,875 or less.
- Consequently, you should have applied for an assessment at the point that you submit your History BA Undergraduate Scholarship application to the Department of History – and ideally some time before. Without this assessment from your funding agency, you cannot be considered for the History BA Undergraduate Scholarship as it can take up to six weeks to receive confirmation from the funding agency of the RHI.
- It is worth arranging an assessment if you think that your Residual Household Income (RHI) is below the threshold because you may be eligible for other bursaries and scholarships at the University of York, eg the York Bursary.
- If you are unsure how to obtain an assessment from your funding agency, eg Student Finance England, please contact email@example.com
- If you are an International (including EU) student, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, so they can provide guidance on obtaining an RHI assessment.
The History BA Undergraduate Scholarship cannot be held in conjunction with the Department of History Bryan and Lydia Gray Scholarship. However, it can be held in conjunction with other wider University awards.