Congratulations on receiving a place at the University of York, and we look forward to welcoming you in September.
Derwent is the oldest college at York. We're located in the heart of campus, have a reputation as the most social college, and we frequently excel in extracurricular activites such as Sport and Raising and Giving (RAG).
For continuing undergraduate students (2nd/3rd/4th/5th years), your move-in date is Saturday 8th September.
For residents of our couples' rooms/studios and our new Postgraduates, your move-in date is Monday 17th September.
For international undergraduate students, your move-in date is Friday 21st September.
For home undergraduate students, your move-in date is Saturday 22nd September.
Please arrive on your scheduled day unless you have made a prior request (with the College Administrator) to arrive on an alternative day. Do not just turn up early without prior notification as your room will not be ready, and you will be given directions to a local hotel or guest house, where you will need to stay until your scheduled arrival date.
Please prepare for a large volume of traffic on move-in day. If you live within 1-3 hours of Derwent College, aim to arrive for 10.30am. By phasing your arrival time we can help limit congestion. Before you arrive, consult the map so that you are clear on where you need to go to collect your keys, and where to unload (the yellow zones).
1) When you arrive go straight to Helix House in the University Science Park. You will be able to park your vehicle here while you collect your keys.
2) Walk to Derwent Reception to collect your keys, Freshers’ ticket/pack. College jumpers will also be on sale if you want to purchase one (please bring cash).
3) Collect your vehicle and head to your designated unloading zone. Eden’s Court has a car park where residents can unload (so it is not shown on the map).
4) Second and Third Year Contacts (STYCs) will help you. It is really important that you unload your belongings quickly, and then move your vehicle.
5) If parents/guardians/friends want to stay for the ‘Family and Friends Welcome Talk’ (1pm and 3pm in Hendrix Hall by Courtyard Bar) please park your car away from the unloading zones.