Health Equity Indicators for the NHS
Monitoring Fairness in the NHS from Centre for Health Economics on Vimeo.
There are substantial inequalities in health care outcomes between rich and poor, which raise important concerns about quality of care and justice. We have developed health equity indicators that NHS and local government decision makers are using to find out what impacts their actions are having on health inequalities.
- Reducing inequality in avoidable emergency admissions: case studies of local health care systems in England using a realist approach. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy 2021 (in press).
- Health equity monitoring for healthcare quality assurance. Social Science & Medicine 2018.
- Dying in hospital: socioeconomic inequality trends in England. JHSRP 2017.
- Health equity indicators for the English – final report to the NIHR HS&DR Programme. HS&DR 2016
- How a universal health system reduces inequalities – Lessons from England. JECH 2016
- Socio-economic inequalities in health care in England. Fiscal Studies 2016
- The costs of inequality: whole-population modelling study of lifetime inpatient hospital costs in the English National Health Service. JECH 2016
- Unequal socioeconomic distribution of the primary care workforce: whole-population small area longitudinal study. BMJ Open 2016
- Are some areas more equal than others? Socioeconomic inequality in potentially avoidable emergency hospital admissions within English local authority areas from 2004/5 to 2011/12. JHSRP 2016. Supplementary tables and figures (MS Excel , 66kb). Underpinning data (MS Excel , 1,478kb).
- Outcomes and inequalities in diabetes from 2004/5 to 2011/12. BJGP 2016
- Mirror, mirror on the wall - whose local care is fairest of all? Nuffield Trust Nov 2016
- NHS adopts Centre for Health Economics CCG health inequality indicators, CHE News Item, Aug 2016
- Moving beyond fair access to care – Kings Fund blog, Mar 2016
- England’s A&E crisis is fuelled by inequality The Conversation, Jan 2016
- How inequality adds to A&E crisis – York Research Themes, Jan 2016
- Unhealthy Lazarus (PDF , 385kb) – extract from CHE Annual Report 2015
- How a universal health system reduces health inequalities, CHE News Item, Jan 2016
- Cookson's blog - Lazarus and the A&E crisis, Jan 2016
- How fair is your local NHS? CHE Policy Briefing 2015
To find out more, please contact Richard Cookson