Scenic stage theatre and Black Box
We have two professional theatres on Campus East that have data links to our TV studios for live performance broadcast and recording. The spaces can also be used for single camera film production.
Both are available to hire for events, theatre or dance performance and film and TV production.
Scenic stage theatre
Our scenic stage professional theatre has the same design as the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield, with capacity for an audience of up to 220.
- Large backstage area
- Sophisticated lighting desk
- Cueing systems and audio facilities
- Large under-stage area
- Links to our television galleries that enable live broadcast or streaming of performances or events as well as recording in multiple formats
- Connectivity with all performance, teaching and post-production spaces within the building, providing a high level of flexibility
- Stage including get-by 125m²
- Stalls 213m²
- Accessways below stalls 48m²
- Wings 22m²
- Vomitories 17m²
- Steel Flyfloor 10m²
- Lighting gantries 84m²
- Substage 120m²
- 28m2 of control room and 10m2 laundry room
This versatile space can accommodate theatre audiences of up to 120 in multiple configurations such as in the round or thrust, and can function as a sound stage for professional-level film and TV production.
- Fully soundproof
- Large scene dock doors for easy access
- Double-height ceiling with a very well-equipped lighting gantry that is wheelchair accessible
- Three-section pull out seating that can be moved and positioned as needed or retracted under the catwalks to allow film or TV production to utilise the full floor space
- A three-wall cyclorama and full size green or blue screens as well as flooring are available to support visual effects production work
- 18 metres by 15 metres, or 59 feet by 50 feet
- Area: 268m2/2884 square feet
- Full double height with a gallery all the way around at first floor level