You and your bicycle
Make sure that you feel confident of your ability to ride safely on the road. Be sure that
- you choose the right size and type of cycle for comfort and safety
- lights and reflectors are kept clean and in good working order
- tyres are in good condition and inflated to the pressure shown on the tyre
- gears are working correctly
- the chain is properly adjusted and oiled
- the saddle and handlebars are adjusted to the correct height.
It is recommended that you fit a bell to your cycle.
- ensure your brakes are efficient
- at night, use lit front and rear lights and have a red rear reflector.
Laws PCUR regs 6 & 10 & RVLR reg 18
There are many reasons why cycling to and around campus will be of benefit to you, besides its obvious environmental benefits to everyone as a transport mode;
- Keep fit - Cycling is a fantastic way to keep fit and can help reduce the risk of heart disease
- Save money - Riding a bike is significantly cheaper than driving a car. Once you've bought your bike it needs no fuel, insurance or tax...and it cost no where near as much to start with!
- Go faster! - Commuter challenges in other UK cities have shown that the bike is the quickest mode of transport in congested urban traffic
- Stay young! - Regular cyclists enjoy a fitness level equal to that of a person ten years younger. (Source: National Forum for Coronary Heart Disease Foundation, Sharp)
- Free repairs - The University monthly 'Bike Doctor' sessions ensure that your bike can receive routine maintenance checks completely free of charge. To find out all the scheduled dates click here. A special discount has been agreed if major work is required!
- Washing facilities - The University has installed showers in many areas for their employees who wish to freshen up after their early morning ride
- Free bike hire - Travelling between King's Manor, Heslington East and West Campus why not hire a bike for free for up to 48 hours! click here for more details.
- Free and convenient parking - Ever see a cyclist looking for a parking space?! The University provides a large amount of cycle storage across campus...just find a space for your bike in one of the many facilities on campus and remember to lock it up!
City of York Cycle Challenge
The York Cycle Challenge runs from Monday 1 and Sunday 21 July and we’d like to invite you all to take part.
The York Cycle Challenge is a fun, free competition where we’re competing against other businesses to see which workplace and departments can get the most staff to try cycling. There are a host of prizes that you can win by giving cycling a go.
Last year in the 2012 York Cycle Challenge – Category 500+ size – The University of York came in 2nd place!
If you haven’t cycled for years, don’t worry! You only have to ride a bike for just 10 minutes or more for your participation to count towards our team’s score. And you can ride anywhere, anytime – on an evening or at the weekend. There will also be ‘try-a-bike’ sessions running where you can borrow a bike.
Get involved, it takes just 2 minutes to register. Go to www.lovetoride.net/york, click ‘Register’ at the top of the page and join our team!Plus, if you ride a bike for the first time in a year or encourage someone else to you can automatically win a cinema ticket vouchers. They’re giving away 200 cinema vouchers!Give it a go and help us pedal our way to victory!
Did you know?-
- 5 car parking spaces can be used to provide parking for 100 bikes
- In 2000, 101 million bicycles were produced, in comparison with only 41million cars (Source: http://www.earth-policy.org)
- You can claim 15p per mile for all business travel carried out during the working day on your bicycle.
- The biggest cycle festival in the UK is held in York every year click here
You can view a map showing cycle routes around campus here. There is a high resolution version in PDF format available to download from a link on this page.
Links To External Websites
- http://www.sustrans.org.uk - A voluntary organisation encouraging cycling, walking and the use of public transport
- http://www.ctc.org.uk - The UK's national cyclists' organisation
- http://www.bikeweek.org.uk - Details of events to be held during National Bike Week
- http://www.whycycle.co.uk - A useful information portal for new and would-be cyclists about starting up, with lots of practical advice
- http://www.bikeforall.net - The cycling site provided by The Department for Transport and the bicycle industry
- http://www.yorkagainstcycletheft.co.uk - York against cycle theft
- www.bikerescueproject.org.uk - Bike Rescue
- Ride Your Bike Safely
Cycling City York From 2009
- Moor Lane Bridge Cycle Facilities Enhanced
- Leisure Ride Maps
- New York Cycle Route Map
- New Figures show 7% increase in Cycling
- Light up and be seen this winter
- Be Bright use lights at nights
- Make sure you buy the perfect bike for Christmas
- Dalby Forest
- Millenium Bridge and Saturday
- Tower Gardens
- University of York
- Cycling Skills
- Cycling Days
- More - Cycle training for over 50's
- Hub Stations
- York Cycle Show 2010
- Meet the Cycle Trainers
- Heavily Discounted cycle Training
- Fit as a Fiddle
- Bike Boost