Equipment and software
- We have Red Epic Dragon 6K, Red Epic 5K and RED One 4K digital cinema camera packages
- We have PL mount cine prime and cine zoom lenses from Zeiss, Angenieux, Red and Sony
- We also use Sony PMW-F3, Sony PMW-200 and Panasonic HPX171 HD cameras recording resolutions up to 1080p, and GoPro Hero4 rigs with potential for shooting 4K
- In keeping with professional practice, camera packages can include a full matte box, follow focus and external monitors to enable true digital cinema-style production when it is required
- Support systems by Ronford-Baker, O'Connor, Vinten; location lighting from Arri, Kino, Dedo, Ianiro; grip equipment from Arri, Matthews and Losmandy all ensure that both location and studio shooting are fully supported
- We also feature a variety of location audio production equipment including Sound Devices mixers and Edirol digital recorders and microphones from Schoeps, Neumann, AKG, Soundfield, Sennheiser, Sanken, Shure and Rode, and a full complement of related accessories
- We have two Apple Mac populated post production labs (one equipped with 5K iMacs (undergraduate) and one with 6-core Mac Pros (postgraduate)) as well as a dedicated Interactive Media lab with Intel Xion based Windows workstations.
- The UG and PG labs feature Adobe CC suite (Premier Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Audition), Pro Tools, Logic Pro and numerous other industry standard packages. The PG lab also features The Foundrys Nuke and Autodesk Maya for visual and 3D effects, and BouJou for matchmoving. The UG lab's 48 machines and the PG lab's 19 are each capable of streaming four 1080p XDCam HD streams to each workstation concurrently. In addition to the above software, the IM lab (with 25 machines) also has Unity 5 and Processing for programming, as well as a Wacom Cintiq, Microsoft Surfaces, Leap Motion and other interactive devices
- We have a range of picture finishing suites including Flame Premium; Avid; and Nucoda Film Master, equipped with colour-grading panels & Eizo grading monitors, and decorated in neutral colours with controllable lighting
- All machines are connected to a Qube render farm (to enable fast distributed rendering of animations) and a 130TB GPFS SAN system to provide media streaming and tapeless asset management.
- We also have a Foley/ADR suite for recording sound effects and replacement dialogue. (ADR is Automated Dialogue Replacement, where the speech recorded on location can be replaced by the actor saying the lines again in the studio; Foleys are live sound effects that have to exactly match the picture, such as footsteps and clothes rustle).
Interactive Media equipment
- We have three computer labs in the department amounting to 93 seats that are available 24/7. Our computers are equipped with all the software needed for the course, ranging from Unity and Visual Studio for programming through to the Adobe Creative Suite, Pro Tools and Autodesk Maya for asset creation.
- Our bespoke 24-seat Interactive Media lab is equipped with specialist hardware including Leap Motion sensors, digital cameras, headphones, a Wacom screen tablet, and stereo-3D monitors.
- We have extensive facilities for VR development with the HTC Vive. These include 6 high-end immersive virtual reality PCs, a bookable space for ‘room-scale’ VR development and testing and a further dedicated VR development room with 3 additional seats.
- We have a bespoke interactive design lab for user experience evaluation and creative design work, which is equipped with 3D printing facilities.
- We have a 3Sixty room capable of full-wall projections by 4 wide-screen data projectors (to resolutions of 1920x1200) onto 8-metre diagonal screens, a 28.4 surround system with 32 loudspeakers and computer control with a Windows-based workstation. We also have motion capture cameras and sensors in this room.