Accessibility statement

Ending your tenancy and moving out

When you sign a tenancy agreement, you are bound to the terms set out in the agreement. This usually means you must live in the property and pay for the entire term as stated in the contract.

Depending on the type of contract you have, your agreement might include a break clause which states how you can end your tenancy before the end of a fixed term. If you do not have a break clause, you can always negotiate ending your agreement with your landlord.

If you have a joint agreement

If you live with multiple other housemates under a joint agreement, breaking your contract could end the contract for everyone living in the house with you. To avoid this, you are normally expected to find a replacement tenant to fill your contract. If you do this, you will need to speak to your landlord about the replacement tenant. You can advertise your room by placing an advert on University Accommodation adverts, asking friends, or posting on social media.

Moving out

At the end of your fixed term you will need to make sure the property is clean and all rubbish is removed from the property. The York City Council has information about responsibly dealing with end of term waste as a student. 

Before you move out, it’s important to check you have:

  • a copy of your tenancy agreement
  • details of any utility accounts you’re responsible for
  • if you paid a deposit you’ll need to find information about that too.

On your last day:

  • take any final meter readings for gas or electricity
  • cancel any broadband accounts
  • change your address for necessary documents and forwarding accounts
  • take photographs of your room and the common areas of the house (this is to support getting your deposit back).

Your landlord will likely provide you with final communications or a check-out list of items that need to be completed when handing in your keys.

When will I get my deposit back?

The landlord should refund your deposit as soon as reasonably feasible after the end of your tenancy and, if it is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST), they must do so in accordance with the rules of the particular protected scheme they are using.

If the landlord does not return your deposit, you should contact the relevant tenancy deposit protection scheme as they will handle any disputes.

If your deposit was not placed into a protection scheme and you disagree with charges, contact Student Advice Team at the Student Hub.

Find out about Court action for a tenancy deposit refund.

My landlord wants to evict me, what do I do?

Your landlord cannot threaten to evict you for requesting repairs in the property.

If your landlord wishes to evict you, they are required to follow necessary steps. Find out how to Get help if you're being evicted.

If you think you may need alternative, emergency housing arrangements, please get in touch with the Advice Team at the Student Hub.