Accessibility statement

Mental health or psychological difficulty

Reflections on university lake

We have a duty of care to provide support for students experiencing difficulties.

Students with low level anxiety should be directed to the self-help resources provided in the student-facing health and wellbeing web pages or to the colleges. However, if their emotions become overwhelming and impact on their studies they may need additional help.

What should you look out for?

Ask yourself: Is there a change? Do they seem different? Is there a difference in their work? Has their attendance dropped? Are they behaving in a way that indicates there is something wrong?

Ask them: How are you? Can I help?

What should you do?

  1. When a student requires support but is not at immediate risk
    Direct the student to complete the online referral form for Open Door. Even when a student is distressed, they should be encouraged to complete the form. If possible, give the student access to a computer there and then. Assure them that they will be contacted by Open Door within two working days.
  2. If a student is not able to engage with the online referral form and you need advice on how to proceed
    From 9am to 10pm on weekdays, contact the Opern Door Team for advice on 01904 32 2140. The team will suggest a course of action, sometimes the student may be seen on the same day. You can also email Open Door
  3. In crisis now! If the student is in immediate danger of hurting themselves or someone else
    On campus - telephone Security on 01904 32 3333
    Off campus - telephone emergency services on 999 

What happens next?

After the student completes the online form, they will be contacted within two working days. The offer of support is tailored to the student's need. Open Door offer one-to-one sessions with a mental health practitioner and workshops. 

Students that are allocated to an Open Door practitioner will be offered an appointment, the wait for this can vary depending on the time in the term the student has referred themselves and when the student is available to meet next. Students who are at risk will be seen more quickly.

If it’s a crisis situation or out-of-hours and Security is involved, they will pass the details onto Open Door to ensure the team can follow up and offer the student longer-term support if needed.


Direct students to University webpages and services that can help: