How to claim expenses
The regulations that detail what you are allowed to claim are set out in the University Travel and Expenses Policy.
This process has been temporarily amended for Covid-19; details under 'Completing your expenses claim' below.
We recommend that you read the Travel and Expenses Policy to understand what you can and cannot claim before you incur any expenditure.
Bank details forms
If this is your first claim, or your bank details have changed since a previous claim, please complete a bank details form and submit this with your expenses claim form:
- Staff: Staff bank details form (PDF , 413kb)
- Visitors: Visitors bank details form (PDF , 412kb)
- Students: submit bank details online
- For anyone with an overseas bank account: Visitors Overseas bank account form (PDF , 413kb)
- You will then need to complete either a "Staff travel and expenses form" or a "Visitor and student travel expenses form" which can be found below.
Expenses claim forms
- Staff: Expenses - Form for Staff (MS Excel , 46kb)
- Visitors and Students: Expenses - Form for Visitors and Students (MS Excel , 45kb)
- Casual workers: Digital Expenses claim form
Coding expense claims
- Account: Mandatory and specifies the type of expense (a list of account codes is provided below)
- Analysis: Optional
- Workorder: Mandatory and determines where the expenses will be charged to
- Amount to pay: Enter the full gross amount to pay. The total should match the amount of money the claimant is to be paid. Use www.xe.com to convert all foreign currency to Pound Sterling. You should use the exchange rate that is given on the day you are submitting the claim. If you're submitting an overseas visitors claim specify the currency to be used and fill in the amount to pay using that currency.
- Example form - normal claim (MS Excel , 46kb)
Fully VAT recoverable projects only
This should only be completed where the expenses are charged to a project where they are fully VAT recoverable. The VAT team can assist if needed.
- Use code P1 if VAT is 20% or use P4 (no VAT) and enter the net amount (excluding VAT).
- Use VAT recoverable projects list (MS Excel , 14kb) (updated 23rd December 2019) to check if a project is fully VAT recoverable.
- Example form - VAT recoverable claim (MS Excel , 45kb)
Commonly used account codes
Account code, description
- 2101, UK Travel - Air
- 2102, UK Travel - Rail/ Coach/ Bus/ Tram/ Ferries/ Underground
- 2103, UK Travel - Vehicle Hire
- 2104, UK Travel - Fuel
- 2105, UK Travel - Car Mileage
- 2106, UK Travel - Motorcycle / Bicycle
- 2107, UK Travel - Taxis
- 2108, UK Travel - Other
- 2109, Overseas Travel - Air
- 2110, Overseas Travel - Other
- 2111, UK Travel - Hotels / Accommodation
- 2112, UK Travel - Meals and Subsistence
- 2113, Carbon Offsetting
- 2114, Overseas Travel - Rail/ Coach/ Bus/ Tram/ Ferries/ Underground
- 2115, Overseas Travel - Vehicle Hire / Fuel
- 2116, Overseas Travel - Meals and Subsistence
- 2117, Overseas Travel - Taxis
- 2118, Overseas Travel - Hotels/ Accomodation
- 2119, Overseas Travel - Car Mileage/ Motorcycle/ Bicycle
- 2209, Telephones/Fax
- 2121, Child care expenses
Completing your expenses claim - TEMPORARY amendment for Covid-19
Follow your department's local practice for who authorises claims.
Complete the claim form spreadsheet, including your name and the date in the claimant box. If one is needed complete a bank details form.
Create an electronic file of all supporting receipts e.g. one pdf file. Please keep the original receipts, particularly for Research grants, for collection and filing at a later date.
Email the form AND the receipts to your authoriser with ‘Expenses claim” as the subject line.
They complete the authorised box on the form; typing in their name, date in the spreadsheet.
The authoriser needs to email both the form and the receipts to…
- The Departments of Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Electronics, Environment & Geography, Health Sciences, Physics, Psychology and Social Policy and Social Work, Theatre, Film, Television and Interactive Media, the Hull York Medical School and IT Services - the department’s finance team for checking before being sent to the Accounts Payable team.
- In any other department, Accounts Payable (email@example.com) in Finance for processing.
Copy in the claimant so they know it's been authorised.
Find information about how to book business travel including accommodation, car hire and travel insurance on the Business travel page.
Claiming expenses - do our short E-learning course via the Learning Management System (LMS). Don’t have access to the LMS? A google doc version (UoY login required) is also provided.
Processing and administering expexenses claims - book on classroom Processing and approving expenses training course via the Learning Management System.
For policy questions including compliance issues please contact your Department administrator or Finance person. Queries can be escalated to your Management Accountant and subsequently to Group Financial Accounting if needed.
For questions about payment dates or amending bank details please contact the Accounts Payable team:
- Face-to-face in their offices in HG06a Heslington Hall
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)1904 322113