How to claim expenses
The regulations that detail what you are allowed to claim are set out in the University Travel and Expenses Policy including a helpful Frequently asked questions section.
We recommend that you read the Travel and Expenses Policy to understand what you can and cannot claim before you incur any expenditure.
Forms for making your first claim or a claim after changing your bank details
If this is your first claim, or your bank details have changed since a previous claim, please complete a bank details form and submit this along with your expenses claim form:
- Staff: Staff bank details form (PDF , 413kb)
- Visitors: Visitors bank details form (PDF , 412kb)
- Students: submit bank details online
- For anyone with an overseas bank account: Visitors Overseas bank account form (PDF , 413kb)
- You will then need to complete either a "Staff travel and expenses form" or a "Visitor and student travel expenses form" which can be found below.
Forms for making subsequent claims
If you have claimed expenses previously with the same bank account please complete an Expenses Claim form:
- Staff: Expenses - Form for Staff (MS Excel , 51kb)
- Visitors: Expenses - Form for Visitors and Students (MS Excel , 50kb)
Please refer to our list of commonly used account codes below which will help you when completing your expenses claim.
Commonly used account codes
Account code, description
- 2101, UK Travel - Air
- 2102, UK Travel - Rail/ Coach/ Bus/ Tram/ Ferries/ Underground
- 2103, UK Travel - Vehicle Hire
- 2104, UK Travel - Fuel
- 2105, UK Travel - Car Mileage
- 2106, UK Travel - Motorcycle / Bicycle
- 2107, UK Travel - Taxis
- 2108, UK Travel - Other
- 2109, Overseas Travel - Air
- 2110, Overseas Travel - Other
- 2111, UK Travel - Hotels / Accommodation
- 2112, UK Travel - Meals and Subsistence
- 2113, Carbon Offsetting
- 2114, Overseas Travel - Rail/ Coach/ Bus/ Tram/ Ferries/ Underground
- 2115, Overseas Travel - Vehicle Hire / Fuel
- 2116, Overseas Travel - Meals and Subsistence
- 2117, Overseas Travel - Taxis
- 2118, Overseas Travel - Hotels/ Accomodation
- 2119, Overseas Travel - Car Mileage/ Motorcycle/ Bicycle
- 2209, Telephones/Fax
Completing your expenses claim
Once your expenses form has been completed attach all receipts and pass it to the person who authorises your expenses. Typically for research projects this is usually your Principal Investigator, for any other staff your line manager should authorise your expenses.
Authorisers - please send the form as follows:
- The Departments of Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Electronics, Health Sciences, Physics, Psychology and Social Policy and Social Work, Theatre, Film and Television, the Hull York Medical School and IT Services - to the department’s finance team for checking before being sent to the Accounts Payable team.
- In any other department, send it directly to the Accounts Payable team in Finance for processing.
The cut off time each week for receipt of claims in Accounts Payable is 5.00pm on Friday, with payment being made on the Friday of the following week.
Find information about how to book business travel including accommodation, car hire and travel insurance on the Business travel page.
|Staff||Car||45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles; 25p per mile thereafter|
|Staff||Motorcycles and mopeds||24p per mile for all mileage|
|Staff||Bicycle||10p per mile for all mileage|
|Visitors||Car||45p per mile for all mileage|
|Interviewees||Car||23p per mile for all mileage|
For further help and guidance, book onto the Processing and approving expenses training course via the Learning Management System (LMS).
If you have any questions please contact your department's admin team or your Management Accountant.
For questions about payment dates or amending bank details please contact the Accounts Payable team:
- Face-to-face in their offices in Market Square
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)1904 322113
For questions about University Expense Policy Compliance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, Financial Accountant and Compliance Officer.