Accessibility statement

Supporting students with health matters

A syringe, vial, and antiseptic wipe

Information on student healthcare, health emergencies, first aid, communicable illnesses and self-certification of illness.

Student health care

Health care around campus

Our information on student health care provides contact details for Unity Health which is the health centre closest to campus. There is also advice on the York NHS Urgent Care Centre, local dentists, opticians and pharmacists. 

Registering with a doctor

All students who are not normally resident in the York area are advised to register with a doctor whilst at the University.

For those not familiar with the UK health care system it is important that they understand that they need to be registered with a doctor, known as a General Practitioner (or GP), in order to receive health care.

It is also important to explain that this is a free service for all students who are resident in the UK for at least six months; those who are here for less than 6 months will usually have to pay.

Student in hospital, please contact

Health forms, policies, guides and reports

Board of Studies

Meningitis and communicable diseases

Students seeking help with treatment costs should complete our self-referral form.

Health emergencies

Each medical emergency is different, but in many situations a member of staff trained as a first aid provider should be called in the first instance. They will then assess the situation, administer appropriate first aid and decide what if any further aid is required.

The Health Centre on campus is not an emergency service and casualties should not be sent there for treatment. The York NHS Walk-in Centre in Monkgate is suitable for less serious or less urgent cases.

Where it is apparent that it is a serious medical emergency, an ambulance should be called to the scene without delay.

First aid trained staff

There are significant numbers of University staff trained in providing First Aid. There should be at least one first aid trained staff member in every department and most security staff are also first aid trained.

Communicable illnesses

There is currently advice from the Health Protection Agency regarding four illnesses: , ,  and TB.

It is important that students are vaccinated against each of these diseases, although you also need to be aware that in the case of meningitis the vaccination only provides protection from some of the strains of this disease.

International students from many countries are expected to attend the TB screening session at the start of each academic year.

If you have any questions regarding communicable diseases, please email Jill Ellis (

University health advisers

The University uses members of the Unity Health as medical advisers, Dr John Lethem is the senior medical adviser.

Students with medical problems often encounter academic or welfare difficulties as a consequence. The experience of University may be stressful for some students, precipitating medical problems. The medical adviser will offer guidance to supervisors in these circumstances.

Advice may be sought prior to and on return from medical leave of absence, where medical reasons cause repeated absence from course work or delay in completing course work, in cases of special needs or disability, and where special accommodation requirements occur.

Correspondence concerning medical leave of absence should normally be made available to the medical adviser for comment, even when the recommendation has not directly involved the adviser, as the University medical adviser will normally be asked to approve return from medical leave of absence in all cases.

It is normal practice for a medical practitioner to seek permission from their patient before divulging medical information. All medical advice must be dealt with in the strictest confidence.