Our work covers literature and poetry, vision and the visual arts, creativity, the arts of pre-history, art and the emotions, the nature of art and empirical approaches to aesthetics.
Our team has a greater concentration of specialists than almost any other English-speaking department.
We are world leaders in our field, currently ranked joint first in the world in the area of Philosophy of Art by the Philosophical Gourmet Report.
- Professor Greg Currie Art and cognitive science, the imagination and its place in the architecture of mind, philosophy of literature.
- Dr Owen Hulatt Analytic and continental approaches to aesthetics. Adorno, form-content unity, musical and literary profundity and artistic autonomy.
- Professor Peter Lamarque Philosophy of literature, especially interpretation, literature and truth. Art ontology, poetry, narrative and the self.
- Professor Paul Noordhof The perception of expressive properties and imagination in the experience of art.
- Professor Jenefer Robinson (University of Cincinnati, Emerita) Aesthetics, philosophical psychology.
- Celia Coll (firstname.lastname@example.org) Particularism about Literary Value (supervisors: Dr Stephen Everson and Professor Peter Lamarque)
- Jacopo Frascaroli (email@example.com) Learning from fiction (supervisor: Professor Greg Currie)
- Britt Harrison (firstname.lastname@example.org) Cinematic humanism: realism not empiricism (supervisor: Professor Peter Lamarque)
- Xuanqi Zhu (email@example.com) Human aesthetic preferences - their origin and development from the perspective of evolution (supervisors: Professor Greg Currie and Dr Penny Spikins (Archaeology))
Push the boundaries of knowledge in our supportive and stimulating environment.Study with us
Join the conversation and attend one of our events.Attend an event