Compagnia d’Istrumenti is an exciting period instrument ensemble based in the North of England. The group was founded in 2005, when its members were brought together through their research into performance practice at the University of York.
The ensemble was formed with the aim of exploring the rich repertory of Baroque music for various combinations of recorder, strings and continuo, from the early sonatas by seventeenth-century composers such as Dario Castello, who was Capo di Compagnia d’Istrumenti at St Mark’s in Venice, to the high-Baroque music of Georg Philipp Telemann. Since their debut performance in 2005 Compagnia d’Istrumenti has given concerts in some of the country’s leading festivals and series. The ensemble has also collaborated with artists such as Crispian Steele-Perkins, David Miller, Lynne Dawson and Thomas Guthrie.
Compagnia d’Istrumenti is delighted to take up its new position as Ensemble in Residence at the University of York: the remit of this appointment is to continue working closely with the department Baroque Ensemble, and to give a number of performances throughout the year. As residents of York, individual ensemble members would also be pleased to be of help to any students who need advice on matters of historical performance; if students would like discuss private ensemble coaching or individual lessons, please feel free to contact us.
Members: Daniel Edgar and Nia Lewis (baroque violins), Ailsa Reid (recorders) and Tim Smedley (baroque cello).
- January 22: Les Goût Réünis, University of Leeds
- March 3: Compagnia d’Istrumenti with University of York Baroque Ensemble, J.S. Bach Magnificat and Cantatas 110 and 191
- March 13: Les Goût Réünis, Sowerby Music Festival
- April 8: A Venetian Carnival, National Centre for Early Music
- May 1: University of York Baroque Day, The High Baroque. Including chamber recital, The Father, the Son and the Godfather, and Handel’s Orlando with Robin Blaze and members of the University of York Chamber Choir.
- June 9: The Concerto, Compagnia d’Istrumenti with the University of York Baroque Ensemble.
- July 12: A Stylish Marriage (music by Telemann). York Early Music Festival
- July 14: Compagnia d’Istrumenti with the University of York Baroque Ensemble, York Early Music Festival.