York Art Gallery collection
The York Art Gallery collection is very strong in painting, sculpture and graphic arts and features a wide range of secondary textbooks and many different exhibition catalogues from around the world.
British painting is particularly well represented, with many books on Constable, JMW Turner, George Stubbs and LS Lowry to name just a few.
About the collection
These include items with fine bindings, a manual of 18th-century scientific experiments, and some wonderful books on the art of Japanese prints. A how-to guide of drawing from nature also has some wonderful illustrations inside.
These may be consulted at the Borthwick Institute for Archives.
The Art Gallery donated over 3,500 items to the University Library in 2014.
Different topics of art are also included and a sample of titles added shows the breadth of the collection.
- The art of domestic life: family portraiture in 18th-century England by Kate Retford
- Anglo-Saxon art: a new history by Leslie Webster
- Japanese colour prints by J Hillier
- Caricatures of the peoples of the British Isles by Tim Clayton
- Sacred Spain: art and belief in the Spanish world by Ronda Kasl