Our summer school is open for all secondary/high school students aged 16-19 who are planning to enter higher education and are ready to get a taste of what it means to study at a top university in the UK.
This unique programme includes a choice of study modules informed by the University’s research, talks by leading academics, an introduction to the York Strengths Employability Skills programme, academic skills sessions to help you get ready for university as well as field trips, excursions and fun-packed activities.
Russell Group University
Experience studying at a leading UK university committed to outstanding teaching, learning and research
Get a slice of life in York, regularly named one of the best places to live and visit in the UK
Meet students and academics from all over the world
You'll learn academic and employability skills to help you succeed at university and beyond
Discover your programme
Our two-week summer school terms are packed with activities.
- Dive into the subjects that interest you and learn about world-changing research from our leading academics
- Learn the skills you need to succeed at university and beyond through our unique employability skills programme
- Explore key places of cultural, geological and industrial interest on field trips
- Meet students and academics from all over the world
- Discover the best places in Yorkshire – from city to the seaside
- Enjoy fun-packed activities led by York students
Summer school term 1 (3-17 July)
- Option 1: Developing Solutions to Environmental Challenges
with the Department of Environment and Geography
- Option 2: Exploring the World with Psychology
with the Department of Psychology
Summer school term 2 (17-31 July)
- Option 1: Examining Global Social Problems
with the Department of Social Policy and Social Work
- Option 2: Feeding the Future
with the Department of Biology and Chemistry
What to expect
Stay on campus
in a single study bedroom with all meals included
Free student travel insurance
with Covid-19 cover to give you peace of mind
Getting to York
fly to any UK airport and we'll arrange your transfer to campus
we'll help you check if you need a visa, and support you with your application
Increase your confidence in English
with our optional language programme before you arrive
Certificate from the University
on successful completion of your two-week programme.
Ready for the summer?
Apply to our summer school
Places are limited, so book early to avoid disappointment.
I'd recommend the courses offered by the University of York because they are useful and very informative. You'll get a great experience and a lot of new skills, as well as great support and many new friendships!
Maria Kurkova, Short Courses participant in 2020
Get to know York
Explore our campus and city
Our tranquil parkland campus and outstanding study facilities are a safe space for you to be yourself. What's more, our vibrant and historic city is just a short walk away.
Discover new passions, make friends and learn the skills that will set you up for a bright future.