Commercial Services Catering and Hospitality plays a key role in the provision and support of more sustainable choices for our customers. We are constantly striving to incorporate environmental and social considerations when choosing our suppliers and during production and the delivery of our services.
In our procurement, we:
- are reducing paper-based transactions within the purchase-to-pay cycle using an e-purchasing system
- continue to develop the use of Fair Trade and other ethically traded products and services
- use seasonally available ingredients where possible, to minimise energy used in food production, transport and storage
- use a range of local suppliers, including M&K Butchers, Delifresh, Haighs Bakery, Fowler Seafood, Hodgson fish, York Brewery, PP snack and York Coin
- exclude fish identified as most at risk by the Marine Conservation Society.
In development and production, we:
- endeavour to reduce the amount of meat and dairy used and increase the number of vegetarian and vegan dishes available
- increase the use of seasonal vegetables and fruits wherever possible
- use of only free-range “Red Lion” stamped whole eggs in all our kitchens
- only provide Fairtrade or Rainforest Alliance certified teas and coffees
- reduce packaging, labelling, transportation and delivery by producing food on site.
To find out more about Commercial Services Catering and Hospitality's sustainability, please visit Eat at York's sustainability page.